Basil tugged on the bottom of my shirt hard, distracting me from the sentence I was in the middle of and directing my attention to something that was twice as horrifying: a very, very tall cat spider beast, it's long black legs twitching and it's jaws opening and closing, revealing multiple rows of teeth. It was ten times as scary as what we had encountered in the past.

"What the hell is that??" Kel screamed, stepping back.

At that moment, something snapped in me.

"Cover your ears."

"What do you-"

"I said, cover your ears. Step back too, I've got this." I pushed past the three children, drawing my rusted steak knife and pointing it at the beast. They all seemed so afraid, and I knew something had to happen. I raised it to the spider's head. 

And, that's when it happened.

I didn't mean for it to happen.

I felt and heard an enormous crack, something resembling my spine breaking in two. I screamed, reeling and falling to the grass. The three children looked on, horrified as my skin began to coat itself in pale patches. The entire left of my body and skin... it turned white as snow. It felt like my brain was dying slowly on one side. Like I was standing outside of myself, and looking in. And, I had almost blacked out, but I listened long enough to hear a yell that I didn't even initiate...

Nobody likes you.

Nobody likes you.

It's all your fault.

You loved her and she's gone.

Look at what you did.

Look at what you did to everyone.