Chapter 6

Namjoon's POV

I remember now, three years ago, I was up on the roof of my apartment building when I saw the comet pass by... but I didnt hear any news about it hitting anywhere.. especially where Seokjin is/was. I opened my phone to show them I wasn't lying. "I still have the memos that he left behind..." They're disappearing... one by one, they disappeared. The restaurant owner who took us to the Gwacheon, brought us back to the inn we were staying at for the night. As soon as I got back, I started to search news about the Town. 

"Comet Gwacheon, with an orbital period of 1,200 years, 'Gwacheon, the Town that Vanished' made a close approach to Earth 3 years ago in October." Hoseok read an article out loud.

'Meteor Strikes, Wipes out Town' Nobody predicted that its nucleus would split at its perigee.'

'Town Annihilated'

'Over 500 dead or missing'

'Gwacheon, the Town that Vanished' A fragment of the comet became a meteor that struck Korea.

'Gwacheon, comet, damage'

It was the day of the autumn festival. The point of impact was here. At 8:42 p.m., it struck where people were gathered for the festival. Over 500 people died, a third of the town's population, and now nobody lives in Gwacheon anymore. I found a book which contained the list of the names who had passed away at that incident. I flipped through the pages, praying for the names of the people I was searching will not come out. But just right then, I found Yoongi and Jimin... and some column away from them was...

'Kim Seokjin' 

No... This has to be some kind of sick joke. I was talking to him some weeks ago. "It has to be some kind of mistake. This person died 3 years ago!" Saemi sonbae said. "Just 2, 3 weeks ago, he said to me that the comet would be visible. So..." 'You're dreaming now...' Grandma's voice.. I... 'aren't you?' I... What did I...?

Third Person POV

"Lively up there." Saemi said. "I'm sorry we could only get one room." Hoseok apologized.  "No problem. How's Namjoon?" "He's still reading articles on Gwacheon. Newspapers and magazines at the time at random it seems." Hoseok replied. "What?" Saemi asked as she felt him staring at her. "Nothing. I didn't know you smoked." "Oh. I'd quit recently, but..." "What do you think about Namjoon's story?" "I liked him. The way he was recently. He was always a nice guy, but even more so lately. Like he was trying so hard. It was cute. What he's saying doesn't make sense to me... But I'm sure he met someone and that someone changed him. That much is for sure, I think." Saemi said. 

Back in the room, Namjoon kept refreshing his phone notes and contacts since he couldn't believe it just disappeared like they were never there. 

'Worst-ever Gwacheon Comet Disaster'

"It was all just a dream. I recognized the scenery because I remembered the news from 3 years ago. If not that, then... a ghost? No... Was I fantasizing? His name... What was it?" He said to himself.

"Hoseok went to take a bath." Saemi said as soon as she got in the room. "Oh, Sonbae-nim. I, uh... I've been saying such strange things. Thank you for coming along today." "No problem." She replied. "Braided cords. How pretty. Is that a braided cord you're wearing?" Saemi asked while reading the book Namjoon had taken from the local library. "Oh, this... I think someone gave it to me a long time ago. I wear it sometimes as kind of a lucky charm...Who was it?" Namjoon got quiet as he tried to recall the memory of the person who gave him the bracelet. "Why don't you go take a bath, too?" Saemi suggested. 

"Yes... No. Someone who makes braided cords told me before... The cords represent the flow of time itself. The threads twist, tangle, unravel, and connect again. That's time... Maybe at that place..." Namjoon remembered something and took out the map of the area. He stayed up late and marked the place where the shrine at the mountain and made plans to go there in the morning. 

"Namjoon"

"Namjoon"

"Namjoon"

"Don't you remember me?" 

When morning arrived, Hoseok work up to see that Namjoon and all his belongings were missing. He stood up and found a piece of paper left on the table where Namjoon was sitting last night.

"I have to go somewhere. Return to Seoul without me. I'll return later. Thanks." - Namjoon