Chapter 35

Lilypetal's POV

"...and there you have it," I finished, pausing in my pacing to face the gray-speckled tom in front of me once again. I then sat down, wrapped my tail around my paws, and tilted my head to the side. "What do you think, Ashfur? I get something that I want, and you get something that you've wanted for a very, very long time."

I then narrowed my eyes as I began to twitch my whiskers. "And something tells me that you almost want it more than power, or more than information to use against the Clans, hm?"

I tried to sit patiently, my fur tingling from the strange, eerie cold of the Dark Forest as Ashfur sat in silence, his deep blue eyes not revealing a thing as he seemed to fall deep into thought.

But after a few moments, the tom let out a sigh. "Very well," he breathed, only sounding a bit wary as he stood up. "Where would this transaction take place?"

I was trying to hold back my relief and triumph as much as I could. Instead, I took a step closer to Ashfur, giving the Dark Forest warrior a hard look. "Once you and the rest of the Dark Forest cats arrive, travel to the edge of the stream between the ThunderClan and WindClan border - there's a waterfall that pours down into the lake," I explained sharply. "Meet me there as soon as you can. You surely don't want to waste any time."

Well, at the moment, it sure felt like Ashfur was wanting to waste time.

It felt as if I had been pacing at the edge of the stream for moons and moons, my heart pounding in anticipation of the gray-speckled tom's arrival. If he even comes at all...

I then stopped in my tracks, giving a flick of my ears as I felt my stomach twist up into a knot. What if he really doesn't show up?

I then shook my head quickly, let out an irritated hiss, and continued in my pacing. Don't be silly. What I told him pretty much ensures that he's going meet me here, I reminded myself. I mean, it's been the driving factor for everything that he's done. Surely he wouldn't give up on it now?

I then let out a sigh, trying to push away any worried thoughts as I continued to pace. I tried my best to focus on the sound of the water pounding down to the ground from the waterfall that flowed from the stream just a few tail-lengths away from my spot.

And while the stream was typically a very familiar spot for me, I was currently on WindClan's side of it. I knew it was exactly where I needed to be, but I hated that I didn't at least have the comfort of smelling my own Clan's scent markers.

After a bit more nervous pacing, I decided to walk towards the edge of the stream once again and peer over the small cliff that led to the water below. I nearly let out a startled yelp as my paw touched the dead tree that stretched across the water - connecting one of side the stream to the other, giving a cat easy access to each side of the border.

After I got over the fact that I hadn't tripped and fallen over the edge of the cliff, I backed away a pawstep and touched the log with one of my forepaws. I watched as it shook just a little, the other side shifting from its spot just a little.

I let out a small grunt of satisfaction. Good.

I then more cautiously looked down at the stream from where I stood at the top of the cliff. Gee, that would've been a bit of a fall... I thought, a small chill running down my spine.

The water below seemed to be cheering me on with how wildly and rapidly it flowed, winding its way around the reeds, and crashing against the rocks before making its way down the waterfall. And even from my distance from the stream far beneath my paws, I could just barely see my own reflection in the flowing water.