Chapter 25

Goldenshine's POV

I truly don't think I had ever seen the ThunderClan camp look so busy since I had been born.

Every single cat in ThunderClan was out in the clearing - kits, apprentices, warriors, elders and all. They were each in their assigned training groups, all of their eyes filled with determination as they reviewed any possible battle moves and techniques that they could use against the Dark Forest cats.

I myself had been doing just that with Nightwing, Dustystorm, Sandstorm, Emberpaw and Lightningpaw, before I felt incredibly inclined to make some visits.

And there was no time to waste, considering this unsettling, dire, and critical situation that was being brought upon every Clan cat around the lake.

As I traveled away from my group, lashing my tail to them in farewell, I began to scan my eyes around the clearing - there being three different pelts that I was looking for.

I couldn't help but feel a strong wave of pride as I let my eyes rest on the dark gray pelt of my son for just a moment. He was currently next to the warriors den directing Snowstorm, Foxleap and Icecloud with a move that definitely looked complex enough to have come from the Dark Forest.

And he doesn't even have to be ashamed of it. Not anymore, I thought, reflecting on Swiftflight's bold choice of revealing his dark past to his Clanmates. 

Great StarClan, had I been absolutely terrified to see the Clan's response when my son had made his announcement; their opinions of him had already been rocky enough. But it had quickly become apparent just moments later that Swiftflight's efforts to change were paying off.

As I looked back at him, teaching his Clanmates, I observed that he definitely still seemed winded and a bit shaken by the confrontation. He looked slightly ruffled, and it appeared as if he was trying to mask feelings of dismay. I wonder if he's nervous about the Dark Forest? More nervous than he's willing to show? I thought curiously. Or is it something else?

I then let out a snort and continued to walk ahead. Whatever he's feeling, it's incredibly likely that he'd never say it out loud.

I flicked my ears and quickened my pace. Swiftflight already knows the news that I'm going to pass on. My parents, however, don't.

I then made my way over to where the brown tabby-and-white pelt of Lilypetal, who I saw first out of my two parents, was training with Cloudtail, Birchfall, Wrenpaw and Whitewing. She currently appeared to be helping Wrenpaw with a battle move.

Not wanting to startle her, I slowly came to a stop and gently tapped on Lilypetal's shoulder with the tip of my tail.

My mother immediately turned around. "Oh! Hi, Goldenshine!" Lilypetal meowed kindly. "Is everything okay?"

She then snorted and shook her head quickly. "Well... you know what I mean," she muttered, shrugging and giving a purr of amusement.

I briefly flashed her a concerned look. It was almost instantly clear to me that Lilypetal was trying to put on a brave face despite everything that had arisen since she'd returned from the Twolegplace. There was obviously a lot more on her mind than what she was wanting to show. As she always does, I thought. She's so strong.

I then gave my mother a nod. "Yes," I replied to her. "I just need to talk to you for a moment - if you can spare it."

I then flicked my gaze towards Wrenpaw, who was staring curiously back at me from where he stood just behind Lilypetal. "What?" I meowed to him, laughter in my voice. "I can't have some time with mother like you are?"