Chapter 30

Swiftflight's POV

"...and I'm sending Foxleap, Toadstep and Rosepetal to RiverClan. They can share Ivypool and Swiftflight's moves with Mistystar's warriors."

I gave a slow nod, continuing to listen intently as Brambleclaw stood in the center of ThunderClan's camp amongst his Clanmates - giving them their positions for the Dark Forest battle. Each time the deputy gave a new order to someone, their eyes either seemed to flash with eagerness and excitement, or complete fear.

I was still awaiting my assignment. And while I felt consistent nerves and apprehension for what was ahead, luckily the anticipation of hearing what I'd be doing in this battle unlike any other was actually a bit exciting to me.

So, I pricked my ears, growing even more alert as Brambleclaw then began to scan his amber eyes around the cats gathered. "Any cat's name that I didn't mention is going to stay here," the leader continued, his eyes dark. "We can't be too generous with the amount of warriors that we send off."

Well, then. I guess that I'm in my own camp for this battle, I realized as I stood up, trying to pick out all of the other cats that Brambleclaw hadn't named. A good amount of other cats, too.

I had to admit that I was somewhat relieved by this, for many reasons. While having to encounter cats like Blossomfall or Birchfall was awkward enough, considering how I'd made my past in the Dark Forest known to my Clanmates, I wondered what it would be like having to face Dark Forest trainees in other Clans? I mean, would they even be siding with their Clan at all?

My fur began to bristle as this question crossed my mind. And... what about Breezepelt? I then thought, my stomach twisting with discomfort as I thought of my father, who seemed to be letting his own anger affect him and his decisions more and more every day. It was clear that Brokenstar, his Dark Forest mentor, had been getting the best of him. What side is he going to be fighting on?

A chill then ran down my spine. I think I may know that answer... but I don't like it.

Lionblaze's sharp meow then broke into my thoughts. "Firestar also wants some runners to pass messages between the Clans during the battle," the pale tabby tom called out to Brambleclaw.

I turned to look back at the ThunderClan deputy as he seemed to ponder his foster son's words. Then, after a moment, he gave a decisive nod. "Molepaw and Cherrypaw can do that," he announced. "And Wrenpaw, Lightningpaw and Emberpaw can as well."

Beyond those words, nothing else that Brambleclaw said could process in my head. My own immense terror was blocking them out - the immense terror that came with the realization that Cherrypaw was going to be one of the Clans' messengers.

Obviously, the prospect of the ginger tabby she-cat actually fighting among cats that I knew to be extremely dangerous would frighten me as well, but to think of her being exposed to the fighting going on in not just one Clan, but all of them... running all over the forest where any Dark Forest cat could be lurking, worried me tremendously. And she won't be around for me to be able to be sure that she's okay...

I then looked over towards Cherrypaw as I tried to battle my rising fears. I tried to meet her gaze, but she wasn't even looking in my direction, looking excited and amused as Molepaw complained about not being able to fight with the warriors. Of course she's excited, I thought as I let out a sigh. Nothing scares that she-cat... she's one of the bravest cats that I know.

I then reluctantly and nervously averted my gaze over to Poppyfrost, who I was surprised to see was actually looking back at me. Her blue eyes were clear - much more than they usually were if they were staring in my direction - and thoughtful.