Chapter XXIX - Impasse

Start from the beginning

"They were busy slaughtering our guards on their way to the Ablation Chamber," Wraith grudgingly agreed.

"And then they must have been lying in wait for someone to unlock the chamber," Venom added.

"I was right about the Qwoiseene gas," Zablaron whispered. "Those three louts didn't wake up."

"Not the best time to discuss it," Florinok replied, unimpressed.

Everyone's attention turned back to the screen as they heard gunfire ricocheting off the crystalline barrier.

"Whatever they are doing, they aren't actually trying to destroy the Ablator," Phoenix observed curiously. The three figures were installing disc-shaped devices into the power batteries. "So much the better."

"It's much worse than you think," Zablaron interjected as he analyzed the build of the devices. "I'm pretty sure they are installing some kind of amplifiers."

Phoenix, Wraith, and Venom exchanged blank looks through their masks.

"They can't possibly..." Venom stuttered.

"Seal all entrances except the Ablation Chamber!" Phoenix thundered.

Through the feed, several metal doors in various places could be seen sliding shut.

"Comms online. Connect me to the Ablation Chamber," Phoenix commanded.

After a beep, Phoenix spoke up, "Wystals, you are discovered and trapped. Stop what you're doing immediately and surrender."

The Wystals looked around them as they heard Phoenix's voice. One of them removed his mask and responded, "Oh, Phoenix... I presume that's who I have the honor of speaking with? You know perfectly well you wouldn't have bothered to grant us this honor if we were really trapped. Aren't those noisy maniacs firing outside enough for you to heckle us as well? I gather you have figured out what we are doing?"

Glacia felt her eyes widening as she saw his face. She recognized the familiar round face with beady eyes and a thick mustache. I was right. He is bald! Glacia thought angrily as she watched the Wystal commander who had been with her on the ferry. She wished there was some way to let him know she had survived before the Cabal killed him — or, better yet, some way to kill him herself.

"What you are doing is suicide," Phoenix snapped.

"That's debatable," the commander countered. "What if we make it out of here?"

"You won't. All entrances are sealed. I know you mean to amplify the ES Ablator's radiations. You do realize you are standing right next to it? Be prepared to bear the brunt of it if you try to do that. Yours will be the first powers to be removed. The process is painful and deadly enough without the radiations being amplified," Phoenix replied fiercely.

"We are mere soldiers, Phoenix," the commander replied, still busy at work. The crystalline barrier was starting to crack against the gunfire. "We are prepared to lay down our lives if that means the destruction of your cult. If you want to save it, I suggest you start evacuating. No one will be harmed, and we will walk out of here with our prize. Otherwise, this amplifier will make sure the radiations penetrate each and every corner of this lair and remove everyone's powers."

"Get ready to be slaughtered, then," Phoenix said. With a gesture, she severed the connection.

"Should we inform the members outside?" Wraith inquired.

"Not at any cost!" Phoenix said immediately. "They will flee. We need them here so the Wystals have to face as much resistance as possible."

Just then, the Wystals finished installing the amplifiers. The commander raised a detonator in his hand and tapped at its screen. As Phoenix zoomed in on it, a countdown of ten minutes could be seen to have been initiated. Behind her mask, Florinok could imagine her face going pale.