its not love

it wasn't long enough until miles lead (y/n) through a small gate that leaded to a spacious green field.

(y/n) gasped softly, looking around at how green and healthy the spot looked here.

"like it?" miles noticed how flushed (y/n) looked.

"pretty" she replied, looking at miles.

miles chuckled, looking back down at how his feet were sliding through the grass.

out of the blue, a short little girl walked through the gate that was onto the other side of the field. she held a doll by the hand, she wore a gray dress that had a white shirt inside, big socks that were close to slip off.

"miles?" the little girl yelled, smiling widely as she ran towards him before wrapping her small arms around him.

"h-heyy, flora" miles awkwardly said with enthusiasm and looking at (y/n) who tried to control her laughter.

"who's this friend?" flora smiled, looking at (y/n)

"this is, y/n" miles softly pointed.

"y/n!" flora gasped before jumping into (y/n)'s free arms and hugging her tightly.

(y/n) did nothing but gasp as well with a huge smile all over her face, patting flora's soft brown hair that showed streaks of blonde due to the sun. at finally the first time in awhile, (y/n) felt pure joy. being hugged by someone whom she just met a few seconds ago made her own heart melt.

miles noticed how genuine (y/n)'s smile was, seeing how gentle she was with patting her head. even something so small gave him a smile on his face. he put his hands in his pockets, tilting his head a tad bit just to see more of (y/n')s smile.

flora pulled away, laughing as she showed her toothless smile before running off somewhere else.

"s-sorry about that, she's always this friendly its insane"miles exclaimed before sitting down onto a spot in the grass. (y/n) shortly followed him, sitting right next to him.

"i've always been wondering about your sweater, miles." (y/n) cleared to throat.

"oh this?" miles tugged the colar of his sweater, looking down at it.

"yeah" (y/n) responded.

"my f-friend gave it to me." was all he said before he awkwardly cleared his throat, trying to change the subject but (y/n) needed more details.

"what's his name?" she asked, letting herself fall onto miles' lap as she looked up at his jawline.

"quint" miles sighed out before looking down at (y/n') eyes who focused in his.

"where is he now?" (y/n) asked noticing how deeply miles sighed shortly after.

"gone."

"dead" he said before looking away from her.

"oh." was all the girl said before she sighed again, already regretting into asking.

"sorry miles" she pursed her lips, not knowing how to comfort the boy.

miles didn't say anything but instead run his fingers through her hair without a warning. noticing how soft and silk it was and how beautifully spread apart on his lap. he started twirling strands on his index finger and thumb, stroking it gently as if it were gold.

(y/n) did nothing but stare at how genuine and hurt he looked, even just trying to distract himself but twirling her own hair onto his slender fingers. she sighed, pulling her body up and away from his lap and turning her body to face him. seeing how he furrowed his brows at how she suddenly lifted herself.