Chapter 1

Your POV

I lay on the couch in the recording studio with my eyes closed just thinking about the last three years. Two years ago I would have never seen yourself in New York signed to Columbia records and Roc Nation. I'm here working with legends for this much anticipated upcoming album. A few years ago, I was just a heart broken 17 year old high school student getting ready to audition for The Voice. Thinking back on it, I couldn't really complain about being heartbroken, it was all my fault in the first place. I was her everything and Normani was mine, except for the last months of our relationship. I let my ego get in the way, started flirting with different girls in your school, blowing her off to go out with my so called friends, just neglecting her when I should have been cherishing. She got tired of my bullshit and left me. Soon after she auditioned for The X Factor, something we were supposed to do together. I watched her group's journey and was genuinely upset when Fifth Harmony didn't win. Watching Fifth Harmony on TV was the only way I got see or hear her voice for a long time, she had refused talk to me but what did I really expect. It was in that time you realized how true the old saying "You never know what you have until it's gone," was. I don't think there has been a day that I haven't thought about the girl that got away.

"Y/N wake yo ass up. We got work to do," I heard from my producer No I.D. Yes the say No I.D. who produced Run This Town, Holy Grail, and Find Your Love. I get up, walk over to soundboard, and listening to the track we were going to use as my single called All I Want Is You. I actually wrote this song after Normani and I broke up. Initially I wasn't even going to show it to the team of producers because of how personal it was. But after talking to my mom I decided to show it to No I.D. Ever since it's turned into something I could never even dream of and I'm so proud of it. Part of me was hoping maybe Normani would hear it. Maybe she'll want me back, but it's doubtful. She supposedly has a boyfriend but I can always dream right?

"I sent the track to one of the guys I've worked with. He came in a couple of hours ago and laid down the bars you wrote. It's your decision to use them or not but I think you will," he said a bit smug. As soon as the track started and I heard who was rapping on my song my eyes lit up. "You got J.Cole on my song?! Of course I want to use it." I told him after listening to the whole song. My single was finally ready and the rest of my album was being polished, life was looking up. I got up and left to call my mom, letting my producers do what they do best.

"Y/N, I was just about to call you. How's the album going?" my mom asked excited to hear from me. No matter what what going on, she was always happy to hear from me and always there when I needed her.

"Everything is good ma. You remember that rapper I like, J.Cole? He's going to be on my single ma. He's one of the hottest rappers in the game wanted to be on my song," I told her unable to contain my excitement. 

"Really? That's great baby. The neighborhood is so proud of you. People haven't been this excited about something since...." she trailed off.

"Since Normani." I whispered into the phone. "Listen ma, I gotta go. I'll call you later." I expressed to my mom before hanging up the phone and checking the time. "Shit!" I muttered, racing out to my car. I have a radio interview in 15 minutes that's 20 minutes away. My manager was about t chew my ass out.

(skip to arriving at the radio station.)

Fuck I'm late and Evelyn, my manager, is livid. She told the station that I'd be about 10 minutes late and they didn't have a problem with it luckily. I parked and rushed through the door, knocking someone over as well as falling flat on my ass in my haste. "I'm so sorry, I'm late for an interview and was rushing. Are you okay?" I explained while picking myself up off the ground. 

"Y/N?" an angelic that I would know anywhere pondered. I looked up and was went with a familiar set of gorgeous chocolate eyes that has haunted my mind for roughly three years.

"Mani?"

AN: I really hope whoever reads this likes this, it's the first thing I've ever actually published. I haven't decided whether Y/N will be a girl or a guy yet so I'll let you comment and decide. One this I do know for sure is that Y/N will be black because quite frankly there aren't many stories like this with a black lead in it and I wanted to do something different.