Great Expectations

Start from the beginning

"Us?" George looked frantic, yet excited.

Cassandra nodded, George cursed under his breath. "Okay...I'll um.... be back in a moment...gotta take care of this."

Cassandra's eyes flicked down to the strain in his pants, internally groaning at Luna's timing. Before she could reply a loud swoosh rang out in the air, George apparating.

She unlocked the door and scanned the shop, finding Luna playing with a pygmy puff. "Luna!" 

They shared a quick embrace as she ushered Luna up the stairs. George's issue dawned on her as she took her hand off the doorknob, turning to Luna who was still playing with the pink puffball.

"You like that one?" Cassandra asked her friend, buying time.

"Yeah...looks like Ginny's."

Just then, the door swung open by a flushed George. "Welcome! Nice to see ya Luna! Come inside." They all gathered around the dining room table, Luna placing the puff on her shoulder.

 "I'll get lunch ready, make yourself at home," George beamed. His face lit up as he remembered the security they had in Luna, he swooped down and planted a soft peck on Cassie's lips pulling back with a bright smile.

It felt perfect, homey. Cassandra and Luna chatted as George fixed their meal, setting down ricotta spinach calzones in honor of their vegetarian guest.

"So Luna how have you been? It's been awhile," George asked, cutting up his calzone.

"Oh lovely...Magizoology is very exciting," Luna replied lightly. "How is Ginny?"

"She's good, still in Quidditch." George placed a hand over Cassandra's hand, resting on her thigh. Her stomach flipped at the feeling.

"So how are you two? Finally confessed?" Luna tilted her head to the side as she asked the couple.

Cassandra looked over to her lover, seeing his eyes widen in confusion, turning to look back at her. Cassandra chuckled, "Yes, we finally talked about our feelings."

"Oh good...we knew you would."

Cassandra felt panicky, had she told someone else? "We?"

Luna leaned over to whisper, "The Nargles.."

They were silent as they ate for a moment, Cassandra and George sending each other knowing looks, unaware of Luna's observation. "So it the sex still great?"

George choked on his tea, coughing. Cassandra looked to her feet, sure she had melted through the floor or evaporated into thin air.

She could hear George's smugness, "Still great huh?"

Cassandra was on fire, "Yes Luna. We are doing okay..."

George chuckled, "Not okay Cassandra, I think you misspoke," he turned to Luna, raising his glass, "We are doing great!" Luna and George clinked their glasses together.

The time had come for everyone to return to work, Luna leaving but not before telling George she liked him very much, whispering something in his ear, Cassandra only overheard something about all things working out in the end.

Cassandra had to avoid the twins all day because of course, George just had to tell Fred. Bastard.

Ever since, any direction, order, or conversation had to include little clues with a long drawn out emphasis. They were starting to close when she heard Fred, "Wow...it's been such a good day...right Cassie?"

George piped up beside him, "Now remember it's not a good day Freddie, it's been a great day....possibly the best day she's ever  had."

Cassandra whirled around, arms crossed, "That's it! I resign." 

Fred and George both started cracking up, Fred then adding "C'mon Cassandra you can't quit! If you think today has been the best day ever then you should spend the night with me!"

George hit him for that remark but not before Fred blew her an exaggerated kiss. Fred of course shoved George back, resulting in a little brawl between them.

"You know...I should quit..I'm tired of being a damn babysitter." She groaned, watching them fight. 

George finally won, giving Fred one last push as Fred grumbled under his breath, "whatever...bye losers.." before walking off.

George snaked his arms lazily around her waist, groping her ass. "You sure you can't stay? Not even for the best sex of your life?"

Cassandra rolled her tongue over her teeth, shaking her head. "Mhmm...later. Adrian wants me home for dinner...but I'm going to hold you to that Weasley."

"Ugh fine...but you'd better...goodnight Arcus."

"Goodnight babe." 

She headed back to her place, thinking how begrudgingly right they had been, the day had been great. 

George was great. Work was great.

Cassandra finally felt her life was falling into place.

____________

She trudged up the stairs, lazily getting her key to open the door. She was dreading whatever bullshit Adrian had planned. 

He had been so distant, so insignificant lately...why was he changing this now?

Though when she stepped inside, pieces started to fit together, creating an all terrifying image before her. 

Adrian was there with his parents, the whispers of silent arguments hung in the air. Beside his parents were her own, Mr. and Mrs. Arcus stood before them, her mother clutching a small camera. Adrian was in a suit and tie... turning to her with a blank expression on his face as he shoved a hand in his pocket.

She felt something sinking in her, slowly melting to the floor as Adrian got down on one knee. She heard him call her name, though there was no emotion behind it.

She looked to her mother, who hinted for her to step forward. Cassandra set a silent plea their way, hoping a mother would understand the unspoken words of her daughter. 

She tried to not recoil when Adrian took her left hand, and asked the question she never wanted to hear.

"Cassandra Arcus, will you marry me?"

There was supposed to be a rushed thrill of excitement when someone asks their lover that, a mix of fear and love or longing. The only excitement came from the mothers, the expecting look on their faces.

There was no thrill. No rush. No longing. 

No love.

Just silent expectations.