If We Had More Moments

Start from the beginning

Nerezza rose from her position on the ground next to Remus's body.

As I looked into his cold, dead eyes, I let out a choked sob. Fred's hand shifted to grip my shoulder comfortingly as I began to realise that I'd lost another member of my family; Remus had been more than an uncle to me...he'd been like a father.

I directed my eyes back to watch Nerezza, hoping like hell she would make it out of this fight alive. If I lost her, then I'd have lost everything all over again.

Nerezza faced Voldemort, his face contorting in a look of disgust and contempt.

She drew a deep breath before she leant her head back, looking up at the sky. For a moment, nothing happened, there was complete silence...until another scream fell from her lips.

A sudden, burst of dark red began pouring from her body. Rushes of scarlet coloured energy exploded from her, colliding with Voldemort. As the huge, oceans of energy neared Fred and I, I felt Fred push my head down and throw his body over mine.

I tensed, waiting for the pain to rip through me. But nothing came.

I waited moments before lifting my head up slightly.

Nerezza was arched over backwards, energy seemingly seeping from her entire form. Her mouth was still open in a scream but no sound left her lips; Voldemort was entangled by the tendrils that bled from her, his skin peeling from his body piece by piece. His face was a picture of pure pain. Her energy continued to flood from her, a dark, swirling whirlpool that consumed her lower half-lifting her up.

His skin greyed, blackened and fell from his form.

Voldemort began disintegrating to bone, his body being ripped apart by Nerezza's magic.

Finally, Voldemort's form tore apart-his skin turning to ash that gently floated to the ground where the other deceased had fallen before him. Nerezza's magic began dragging back to her, filling her back up it seemed, she straightened her back again and her mouth closed.

That was it.

He was gone, dead.

The war we'd been fighting for so many years was finally over. And while I wanted to relish in the pure relief and happiness I felt wash over me, I couldn't help but look back at Remus's body and think about all the people we'd lost to this war: Sirius, Remus, Dean, Draco, Cedric, Dobby, my parents...

Fred scrambled to his feet and ran to Nerezza's side, skidding across the floor that was covered in debris, rubble and chunks of the school.

Nerezza fell into Fred's arms and he wrapped her in his embrace, pulling her as close as he could into his chest and cradling her head.

"Harry?" Hermione's voice sounded from behind me.

I turned around to see Hermione, Ron and George all stood together. Hermione stepped forward, her eyes following my line of sight till they landed on Remus. She slapped her hand over her mouth and Ron threw an arm around her, shielding her eyes as she silently cried.

George's eyes bulged and he worriedly looked at his twin brother. When he saw Nerezza and Fred, crying together in each other's arms, his lip quivered.