Letter #9

April 1st

Dear Denali,

Happy birthday, baby.

I don’t really know what to do, what to say. Today I saw a lot of posts on social media of your friends and family sending you the best wishes. They really loved you, Nali. Well, they still do. How can someone not love you? You were an angel, always showing the biggest smile to everyone. I miss your smile, tho.

It’s funny because today I remembered that I always loved to compliment you, but I never been good at reciving it, so you kept messing with me, complimenting me non-stop, and I just told you to shut the fuck up, but honestly I loved it, and you knew it.

I miss you, Nali. I miss the feeling of your skin against mine, I miss how strong you used to hold my hand, and the sound of your voice, which I keep listening in old audios and videos, but it’s not the same. Nothing is the same without you. I just want to lay in bed with you and cuddle all day. I want to wrap my arms around you, bury my face in your chest, and feel the warmth of your body. I want you to wrap your arms around my head, kiss me on my forehead and just cuddle the shit out of me.

You know what, Nali? I often wonder  what I would say to you if I could see you one more time. And I’ve come to the conclusion that there aren’t words in our language for that moment. I would simply hold you and cry, and I would whisper that I love and miss you. Our hearts don’t really need any words at all, they never did.

Until we meet again, happy heavenly birthday, Nali. I’m so sorry I couldn’t save you.

Love, Rosie