book two, chapter two: frustration

(Y/N)'s P.O.V

"Is everything okay?" I whispered, holding Sal to me.

I spooned him lightly and kissed the back of his head.

It was midnight. All day he just seemed so sluggish and off for some reason.

"Mmm..." was all he could push out.

"You can talk to me love, you know that?"

Complete silence.

"You don't have to talk either. I know talking to people about things can be difficult.... so no pressure if you don't want to" I reminded him. It was something I always told him when he was unsure about saying things. Though, this time felt different.

Almost like he was thinking so much at once that he couldn't say anything anyways.

Or maybe he wasn't thinking at all.

"Thanks..." he breathed.

I didn't know what to do in the moment. The silent moments were never an issue for us, but this was just... strange.

There has to be something.

"Sally face, I love you"

"I love you too"

I gulped, his monotone words piercing my heart just a little bit.

I know none of this is personal... right? Or was it.

"Did I do something wrong?" I questioned while squeezing him almost barely. He shook his head for a moment and I nodded. "If there's anything I can do just let me know. I can get you something to drink... or a snack! Or-"

"(Y/N) please. Please stop. I don't want to talk. I don't want to think"

I shut my mouth immediately. My teeth biting my lips together, and in a weird way that hurt more than I should've let it.

He's never interrupted me to tell me to stop talking. He's never this snappy or... uninterested I guess.

I inhaled in carefully, letting a shaky breath out and shutting my eyes.

I repeated in my head that he didn't mean it. That he was just on edge and I kept poking at him. I told myself it was nothing against me and he was just upset about something.

But the words and self reassurance couldn't keep the tears from overflowing my eyes and falling to the pillow I laid on.

It wasn't a loud cry. It was one of those silent ones that just really burned.

We never really fought with each other. Maybe funny little disputes about who would be able to do  the best kart wheels, but never real anger or frustration.

I don't even think I would call this a fight. I think I just really got on his nerves in the moment.

I squeezed my eyes and loosened my grip on Sal naturally.

Maybe tomorrow will be better.

***

The sun shone right into my eyes, only adding to the pounding headache that formed overnight.

As my eyes adjusted, I noticed that my grip had fully loosened from Sals body and retracted to my chest.

He was curled up into a little cute ball, but a sad looking one.

I sighed as I felt the dry tears on my face. I slid my way to the bottom of the bed, doing my best to not disturb him in anyway.

Wrapping one of the free blankets around my shoulders, I stepped out of the room and shut the door quietly.