Dreams of Past and Future

Start from the beginning

I ducked my head down and frowned. None of this made sense: This girl, the empty school, and the dream itself was all new to me. Never before had I dreamed such realistic and elaborate dreams before now.

Luna doesn't go to Beauxbatons, I thought, So why does this girl look so much like her?

"Where is she going?" would have been a much more sensible question. She was heading towards the other side of the hallway to the wine cellars, which made no sense. As far as I knew, there was nothing noteworthy down there except for the overabundance of...well, wine. No one was allowed down there except for teachers anyways.

"You're not wrong."

I jumped away from the voice that sounded from a mere few inches behind me. The girl must have circled around me while I was looking away.

"Oh. I did that too."

Turning to face her, I covered my mouth to stifle a gasp sourced from a jolt of familiarity. Those eyes, that beautiful blonde hair, and the obvious indicator in the form of a crescent...I should have noticed sooner.

"Luna...?" I took a cautious step towards her.

She shook her head. "No. Just a dream. I'm sure that the real me would be flattered with how you see her."

I blushed a little, unsure if I should have since none of this was real.

"Then why are you here? What is this?"

Rather than answering right away, she instead turned from me and walked a few steps up the stairs beside us. A knowing smile graced her face.

Luna looked down at me from where she was. Her hands traced along the railing as she took a few more steps. The top of her head was just below the ceiling border now, and her eyes curiously brought themselves up to what little of the second floor was visible from where she was standing.

She didn't budge an inch when she said, "You know that something is coming right?"

Of course I did. Everyone knew that there would eventually be a point when we had to watch the world around us change for better or for worse. Probably both.

"And you know that you aren't alone?"

No, I wasn't alone. I had many amazing friends that would do anything to protect the ones that they cared for. They were honest, compassionate, and amazing people that chose to bring light to this world instead of darkness like the Death Eaters.

I smiled to myself, finally seeing what all of this was. It brought me back to this place, the school where I had no one to depend on, to show me how I started with nothing. Luna was here to show me that I wasn't alone anymore. That I had everything.

I found myself staring at an empty staircase with my next words on the tip of my tongue. Dream Luna was gone, disappeared, but I still felt like I needed to say something.

"As long as I still have my beautiful moon shining in the sky."

It turns out that she was doing just that when I woke up next to her, her enchanting eyes gazing back at me with enough adoration to make my heart swell.

  ~October 7th, 1995~

"Are you sure that this is a good idea?" I asked, unsure if we should really disturb Hagrid this early before the sun had even risen, "What if he's asleep? Or what if he isn't even there?"

Luna smiled and playfully nudged me. "He'll be there. Mr. Hagrid is always there."

"Always?"

"Where else would he go?"