Matchmaker: Chapter One

A different voice, louder than Liam’s, woke me up in the morning. I groaned loudly, rolling over in the unfamiliar bed and shoving my face deeper into the white pillows, attempting to sooth my pounding headache.

Then the events from yesterday night hit me like a bullet train, and I began feeling more than a bit ill as I shoved myself off of the bed and stumbled out of the room. I was only slightly aware that Liam had company over before I felt the floor under me shift, and my stomach flip, and then I was running down the hallway again for the toilet.

I heard a sympathetic groan from behind me, and fucking Harry Styles was there, watching it like it was a show or something.

“Haven’t seen you in ages Kate!” He exclaimed with a giddy smile and I managed to flick him off before my stomach churned again and I was vomiting over the rim again. “You look great!”

“Leave her alone Harry,” Liam called from the kitchen and with a smirk Harry left me, and I groaned, slouching against the cold tiles. I finished dying a few minutes later, pushing myself up on shaky legs and grabbing onto the sink, splashing a few handfuls of water onto my face and trying to brace myself for the day to come.

All I really wanted to do was to crawl back up in Liam’s guestroom bed

Liam had breakfast on the table, and Harry had gone ahead and helped himself to the plate of eggs which just looking at make my stomach turn again. Instead I sat down and took the offered cup of tea from Liam, who looked a bit too proud of himself for this hour.

“Do I want to know why you look so pleased?” I asked tiredly, and Liam shook his head, taking a sip off his coffee.

“Probably not,” He replied and I moaned, resting my chin on the table and staring in disgust at Harry who was shoveling spoonfuls of eggs in his mouth.

“You’re disgusting,” I groanned and Harry smirked, opening his mouth to reveal a mess of yellow much, which nearly sent me running to the bathroom again.

“Charming as ever-“

“What’s your problem anyways?” Harry asked, after he swallowed the mess, “You used to be so nice and bubbly-“

“Why are you even here?” I asked, leaning forward on the table and raising a brow, “Still don’t have a girlfriend to sleep with?”

Harry’s eyes fell to his plate, playfulness lost from his face and Liam quickly interrupted, “Alright, alright enough,” he muttered, reaching for Harry’s plate and putting it the sink before resting a hand on Harry’s shoulder, “We’re going to the gym. Don’t leave this place, your Dad is coming, just trust me when I say that staying here is the best you can hope for right now.”

I groaned and rested my head on the table again, “Liam why do you hate me,” I moaned and Liam snorted as he tugged on his trainers.

“It all stems back from you throwing my Power Ranger into the pool when I was six,” he called back, “Don’t burn anything down!”

The door slammed shut behind him and I sighed, slowly taking my time in finishing off the rest of my tea. I took a long shower, letting the hot water pound down on my back until I couldn’t take it any longer, and then changed back into the same pajama bottoms and tank from last night.

I decided to tour Liam’s large apartment and padded around, admiring the pictures he’d put up. There was one of him and I, dressed in school uniforms on what must have been my first day of school. I didn’t have any front teeth in it, and Liam was chubby and dimply.

Neither of us looked like that anymore, we’d changed a lot.

Liam had changed a lot.

I hadn’t spoken much to Liam, since the funeral, which was why everything about this was so incredibly awkward.