During dinner, it's like I'm in a high-stakes heist movie. There's her phone, casually resting next to her plate as if it's not the holy grail I'm after. And me? I'm sitting there, racking my brain for a way to divert her attention and snag that phone.

Throughout the day, it's painfully evident that something has shifted within Meghna. The spark of mischief in her eyes has dimmed, replaced by a heaviness that I've never seen before. She's distant, lost in her thoughts, and even her playful interactions with Dad have waned. It's as if a veil of sorrow hangs over her, and I can't help but wonder what could have caused such a dramatic change in her demeanor. 

Could it be the fallout from her relationship with Ahan? Did something significant transpire between them? Whatever it is, it's clear that it's affecting her deeply, enough to alter her behavior and outlook on life.

Tonight, the dining table has transformed into a battlefield of unsaid emotions. As Mom asks Dad if he wants another serving of roti, Meghana's gaze remains fixed on her plate. Her fingers idly play with her spoon in the sea of rice. The air feels heavier, suffocating with the unspoken. It's like I can practically see the weight of whatever's bothering her pressing down on her shoulders. It's not just maturity that's creeping into her eyes; there's an abyss of sadness.

Amid the chewing sounds that echo in the silence, I reach for my earphones. I can't stand the suffocating quiet any longer. But Mom's eyes bore into mine, annoyance evident in her gaze. "You should take a break from that phone once in a while. Life's not just in there."

I mutter a soft "Mummy," under my breath but let my ears get invaded by the chewing choir.

"Put it down," Mom's voice is firmer now, and reluctantly, I comply. The only soundtrack now is the rhythm of chewing. These people need to take a course in interesting conversation.

Then Dad decides to break the monotony, dropping a bomb right on the dining table. "I've talked to Meghana's uncle. He's looking into a few potential matches. He said he has two or three boys in mind. He'll be coming this weekend with all the details."

Mom's excitement rises to the surface like a bubble ready to burst. She's all smiles, her eyes gleaming as if this were some kind of lottery win. Dad's grin is infectious, but Meghana remains quiet, swirling her spoon through the dal in her bowl.

It's like a movie scene set on pause, and I can't take it any longer. "Why the rush? She's still in university," I break through their chatter.

Mom's voice oozes reassurance, "Don't worry, it's not like we're forcing her to marry tomorrow. Marriages take time, you know. We have to find a suitable match for her, then check their family background. And after that, there's the horoscope matching, and if that's not right, back to square one. Even after all that, finding the perfect auspicious time takes ages."

My frustration is reaching its peak. "What if Di wants to work and have a career?" I challenge.The conversation halts, as if time itself has come to a standstill. All eyes turn towards Meghana as if expecting her to answer, but she remains silent, her spoon still in her hand, caught in a mid-air limbo.

"We won't stop her from working, of course. If she wants to, she can work after marriage," Dad's voice rings with well-meaning intentions.

"And if she wishes to continue her studies after marriage, and her in-laws agree," Mom adds as if they're reciting a rehearsed script.

My patience has reached its limits. This is my sister we're talking about. Her dreams, her aspirations—why should they be confined to the checkboxes of societal norms? "So, you're telling me, you're okay with others dictating what your daughter does? If they decide she should just be a glorified maid in her own life, you're ready to sign off on that? Who cares if she has her dreams, her identity? After all, she's just a girl, destined to live by others' rules," my voice is laced with anger, and I'm not holding back.