"Isn't it burning you?" Mimi asked with concern.

"No."

"That looks ancient," Dr. Patel said. "Can you hold it here under the light so I can see the etchings?"

Aiyana did, but she could feel time ticking away for whatever friend it was they'd taken. Gravel crunched out in the yard.

"I bet that's Salma," Dr. Patel said, looking up from the blade. "This should be interesting."

"What's going on?" Aiyana asked as Dr. Patel moved toward the door.

"Nate challenged Sophia. His mother dropped him off somewhere and now Sophia has to find him using their mate link."

Aiyana's stomach dropped. "They must have Nate!"

She zipped her letter opener into the pouch as she ran back out the door. As she feared, Salma Koche stood next to the big, black SUV alone except for Sophia.

"Mrs. Koche, where did you leave Nate?" she asked as she ran.

"Just call me Salma, dear. What's wrong?" She showed both women her phone.

"I think they must mean Nate."

"No, I'm sure he's fine," Salma said, pulling out her phone. "He's with one of my guards. I'll just give him a call."

Nate didn't answer. His mother tried again, then dialed someone else. Whoever that was didn't answer either. Aiyana turned to Sophia. "Can you feel him? Which way do we need to go?"

The girl looked scared. "I...they must be too far away...I can't...," her eyes grew wide and she whipped her head toward the driveway.

A familiar bright green car turned a little too fast into the entrance, shooting gravel and dust into the air. Kobe pulled up next to one of the old telephone poles that formed a border along one side of the driveway and hopped out before the dust had started settling.

"Aiyana, is everything all right? You were supposed to text me."

"I'm sorry Kobe. I was so tired, I fell asleep. Cliff is stable, but still not awake. You can go see him if you want...Kobe?"

He had stopped paying attention to her and was standing as still as a statue, his mouth slightly open, and his eyes trained on Sophia. She too looked frozen with her eyes were wide in surprise. Then, the corners of her mouth started to stretch and her face blossomed into a beautiful smile that matched the one that formed on Kobe's face. 

"Do you feel it?" Kobe asked.

Sophia nodded. It was like watching a scene from a corny romance film where two lovers run into each others arms except it wasn't in slow motion. 

 Kobe wrapped his arms around Sophia and didn't quite whisper, "I never thought I'd find you," in her ear. Sophia responded by kissing him, on the lips. It looked like it might last a while.

Aiyana turned away. She was glad for both of them, but sad at the same time. That should have been her and Cliff. Nate's mother was watching the two with her lips curled back in disgust. How was she supposed to find Nate now? "Can you take me to the last place you saw him?" Aiyana asked Salma.

"Yes, get in."

"I'm coming too," Dr. Patel said.

"Me too," Alpha Miguel said, claiming the front passenger seat. "Tell everyone to be ready," he called to his wife. "I'll text directions shortly."

"They said to come alone," Aiyana reminded them as Salma sped past Kobe and Sophia who were talking now, but still holding on to each other as if one of them might float away if they didn't.