they think

the classroom was as loud a concert, each student's conversation was muffled with another. (y/n) held her backpack straps as tightly as she could handle before inhaling and stepping foot in the classroom, she looked around the room.. her eyes meeting another. before she realized the face turned the other way trying to block her eye contact, she looked away too. down on her half bitten fingernails before covering it up with her hoodie sleeve and tucking her hair behind her eat just in case someone had been looking at her.

"there, there, there class please be settled" a voice from behind her made her flinch, looking at her teacher. short blonde hair, gray-ish blue eyes.. she wore a heavy looking red coat and her skin was pale as moonlight.

"you must be.. y/n" the teacher smiled, patting her hand onto the girl's shoulder before awkwardly smiling.

"i-i'm kate, don't really like my last name so just call me kate" the woman responded, (y/n) still avoiding eye contact with anyone else on the room, her eyes focused on a bread crumb that sat on the floor. (y/n) slowly looked up as she realized the silence of the room increased, she noticed the eyes full of admire and care all over her. each student seemed to have fallen for her already except for one person. one person.

"w-well, well.. y/n you may.." kate looked around the room, trying to find an empty spot for the new student to sit in. she gave a muted gasp as she lifted her chin and smiled, "you can sit t-there, miles?"

the boy in the red sweater, messy hair, brown eyes, freckles that looked like chocolate chips looked up. he stared blankly at the girl then the teacher.. his arms crossed as he put his backpack onto the vacant seat next to him.

"sorry this spots' taken." he nodded his head, looking back out the window like nothing had happened.

"sorry, he's always like this." a student who sat in the front row whispered yelled to (y/n) making her do nothing but shrug her shoulders and nod her head.

kate sighed before her smile dropped and looked back at the girl.

"miles fairchild, you will sit next to y/n. do you understand me?" kate's voice became more furious.

"no i don't, i mean she's a new student why me? why me?" he responded while his eyes were still outside the window looking into the gray clouds that blocked the sunlight.

kate softly pushed (y/n) from her spot, clearly gesturing her to feel comfortable and sit next to the boy.

"b-but i don't want him to hate me" (y/n) looked back, stopped her feet from moving any inch forward.

"don't worry, i already do." the boy rudely answered, his arms crossed with his brows furrowed.

without hesitation (y/n) walked over to the used-to-be vacant chair and shoved the backpack off and allowed herself to sink down onto the hard chair and leaning back before crossing her arms. kate sighed and gave her a faint smile before putting the small stack of papers she had onto her desk.

"you're stubborn aren't you?" the boy asked, his eyes still out onto the gray clouds.

"well when it comes to you absolutely blocking me from sitting nex-"

"enough. i didn't ask for you to start a conversation with me" miles turned his head back, his eyes sharp that it hurt even staring into his orbs.

"you talked first" (y/n) crossed her arms tightly, rolling her eyes before kicking the desk with the top of her worn out converse shoes.

miles was about to say a word but scoffed and re-adjusted his head back to the green chalkboard where the words

'tell-tale-heart quiz'

"great" miles muttered.

"didnt study, time to fail" he sighed out, leaning back onto his chair making (y/n) scoff out of laughter as a grin formed on her lips.

\\\\\\\

the last class ended, (y/n) tried to pack her books as quickly as she could before zipping her bag. sighing at how there was already small holes all over it. she looked around seeing how the students weren't bothering her existence anymore like how they did at first period. before she knew it, she was the only student in the classroom. her books not fitting at all, her mind in tangles like her hair, and her throat in a knot due to embarrassment that she was last out on her first day in a new school. she scoffed out of frustration until a soft knock was heard.

"need help?" the familiar voice snapped her head towards the door.

"miles." she sighed in relief.

"i could.. carry your books or leave you alone, your choice." he smirked, his body was comfortably leaning on the door.. his ankles wrapped around the other as his arms were crossed.

the girl thought for a second, looking back at the mess of books in front of her and back to the boy.

"you're just one of those idiots who ask if someone needs help, but then purposely denies and let them be helpless." she smiled sarcastically before continuing to stuff the books into her bag.

"i'm not that mean like what they say" he threw the words back at her, making himself loosely from his past posture.

"yeah okay" she muttered, widening her eyes while her hands were struggling to stuff the books into her bag.

miles stood there in silence, not sure how to make it up to her due to how rude he was a few hours ago. the girl still struggled putting her books in, she sighed before rubbing her temples and grabbing the heavy books by hand instead..zipping her bag and walking past miles.

"really?" miles scoffed, looking at (y/n) who was halfway out the door.

"what?"

"you're not even gonna ask if i really meant that i wanted to help you" he bit his lips, his hands deeply going into his pockets.

"i don't need to ask if i'm sure that you didn't mean it." she struggled to keep her book's balance together but kept a straight face.

"why are you like this? and ON your first day?" miles asked once again, making (y/n) feel upset that he's being an ass.

"you just..i just, don't like you" she looked up from her worn out converse shoes and to the boy's red sweater that had spots of brown and holes already.

"wow" was all he replied with.

"you're wasting my time, i have to go hom-"

"but what if i liked you." he said, slowly making his way to (y/n) a grin forming in his lips.

"w-what?" (y/n) widened her eyes, her books slowly loosing her grip and slowly slipped out of her hands, hitting her feet making her winced in pain.

"don't take it that way, i mean as in..friends." he said before squatting down and picking her books for her. he held them like they were light as a feather.

"oh. oh" she nodded, awkwardly laughing before looking away and without a word leaving the school building without saying anything to miles.

but what if he meant it, that way?