Chapter 4 - Stefan Returns

Damon wakes up and sees Elena is still asleep, in his arms. He kisses her neck and sees her eyes flutter open. She turns around and smiles.
"Good morning"
"Good morning sunshine" Damon says
"Did you sleep well?"
"Yeah because I was wrapped in your arms all night" Elena smiles at him
"Is aunt Jenna awake yet?"
"No I don't think so. But I did hear them go upstairs after the movie."
"I hope she doesn't get mad at you that I slept over."
"No she shouldn't. Jeremy has had Vicki stay over before. But that's another story." Elena said and sat up.
"I'll be right back." She gets up and heads up to her bathroom. She brushes her teeth and washes her face. She stares in the mirror and smiles at her self.
She heads back down and hears the door bell. She goes to open it and it's.."Stefan?"
"Hey Elena."
Elena looks at Stefan and then she looks into the living room. Damon stares back at her and gives her a "what do I do" look.
"Uhm. What are you doing back? I thought you were staying in Louisiana for awhile?"
"Yeah but I came back. I thought about what I said, Elena. I don't want to lose you. I love you."
Elena looks back into the living room and sees Damon going to hide.
"Can I come in and we can talk?"
"Uh, yeah come in."
They go to the kitchen and sit at the table.
"I wanted to say I'm sorry for what I said, and for just leaving you like that."
"Stefan. I don't know what to say."
"Don't say anything. I understand that you are mad at me."
"You hurt me Stefan. You just left me. And told me over the phone."
"I didn't know how to do it Elena. And I regret it."
Elena just looks at Stefan. She wants him to leave so she can talk to Damon.
"Stefan can we talk later? I don't want to talk right now."
"Yeah that's fine. Take your time."
"Thanks."
Elena stands up and follows him to the door.
"I'll call you later Elena."
He kisses her forehead and walks out the door.
Elena shuts the door and turns around with her back leaned up against it.
Damon comes out from his hiding spot and goes over to her.
"Elena are you okay? I can't believe he's back."
"Damon what am I going to do?"
Elena starts to panic.
Damon picks her up and hugs her.
Elena put her arms around his neck and lays her head into his chest.
"I don't want to be with him. I want to be with you, Damon."
Elena kisses him and he takes her by the hand and leads her up to her room.
Elena sits down on her bed and Damon joins her.
"What am I going to tell him? That I've moved on and I'm dating your brother.."
Damon looks at her and laughs
"We could just skip town."
Elena smacks his arm with her blanket.
"We need to tell him, together. I don't know how he will take it but we have to get it over with."
Damon shakes his head in agreement. Elena goes to her closet to change and Damon gets ready too.

Elena sent Stefan a text telling him to meet her at the park.
Damon drives Elena and they get out and wait on a bench for Stefan to arrive.
"He's going to hate me Damon. What if he hurts you?"
"He's not going to hurt me. I'll be fine and you will be fine. I promise."
Damon squeezes her hand.
Elena notices Stefan walking down the path and let's go of Damon's hand. She stands up.
"Hey Stefan."
"Hey Elena, Damon?"
"Hello brother"
"Why are you here?"
"Stefan, we need to talk to you about something. Sit down, please."
Stefan sits down across from them and Elena starts to talk.
"When you left, Damon and i started hanging out more. And we'll, we both like each other."
Stefan just stares at them. He turns his head and then look down at the ground.
"So..you are saying you two are a thing?"
"Well not officially but yeah"
Damon starts to talk.
"Stefan, you left her. You left her in the worst way. No one does that to someone they love. And then expect to come back and everything be okay."
Elena looks at both of them.
Stefan stands up. Walks over to Elena.
He grabs her hands and looks at her.
"Elena, I am sorry. But to see you happy, makes me happy. And for you to be happy I want what's best for you. And if that is Damon instead of me, I'm okay with that."
Elena stares at him and leans into hug him.
"Stefan thank you. That means so much to me." She smiles up at him, and he smiles back.
Stefan shakes Damon's hand and says he will see him later.
Damon and Elena walk off and Stefan walks the other way.

"Damon, wow. I didn't expect him to react so calmly."
"Me either. I honestly thought he would punch me to the ground."
Elena smiles and laughs.
She grabs his hand and they walk off through the park.

Dear diary,
Stefan came back. He apologized for everything. But I had to tell him something else. Damon and I told him that we liked each other and we want to keep that going. Stefan actually took if very well. Which makes me happy. He said if I'm happy that it's all he wants. He really does love me. And I love him too, just not that way anymore. He will always be my first love.