Chapter 2 - Founders Ball

The next morning Elena wakes up with the smell of chocolate chip pancakes, her favorite.
She rolls out of bed and throws on a sun dress and heads down stairs.
"Morning!" Elena says to Aunt Jenna.
"Hey there, coffee is made and I made you your favorite pancakes." Aunt Jenna replies.
"Thanks they smell great! What time do we need to leave?" Asks Elena
"We need to head out once you finish eating." Aunt Jenna responds as she's eating a strawberry.

After breakfast Elena and Aunt Jenna grab everything and head to the Lockwoods.

"Hey Stefan, I'm on my way to the Lockwoods, I'll meet you there! I love you." Elena leaves Stefan a voice message.
"I don't know why he isn't answering." Elena says.
"Maybe I'll text Damon, he might know where Stefan is." Elena starts to text Damon.
"Do you know where Stefan is or why he isn't replying? He has to be at the Lockwoods in an hour and the ball starts in 3 hours." Elena hits send.

When they arrive to the Lockwoods, Elena sees Caroline and they head up stairs to start getting ready.
"I haven't heard back from Stefan or Damon yet care. What if he doesn't come?" Elena says with a worried look.
"Well, I know we can have someone feel his place, but let's hope he shows okay?" Caroline tells Elena.

A few hours later after they are all ready, Mrs. Lockwood tells the girls it's time to line up. Elena try's calling Stefan once for, but no answer.
"I can't believe this Caroline. He knew he had to be here." Elena says as she throws her phone down.
"It will be okay, Mrs. Lockwood will have someone feel in who knows the dance okay?" Caroline try's to comfort Elena.

"Lady's and gentleman id like to introduce the beautiful girls who will be dancing today and their escorts. First we have Sarah Grey, escorted by Caleb Letcho."
Elena looks down in the crowd for Stefan but doesn't see him. She shoots Caroline a worried face and nods that he isn't down there.
"Caroline Forbes, escorted by Matt Donovan." Mrs. Lockwood says.
It's Elenas turn next and she starts to feel embarrassed.
"Elena Gilbert..." Elena starts to walk down the stairs and notices Damon rushing through the crowd.
"Escorted by...Damon Salvatore.." Mrs. Lockwood says with a confused look on her face.
Elena grabs Damon's hand and whispers,
"Where is Stefan, Damon?"
"That's what I'd like to know Elena." Damon whispers back.
"Don't worry now, I'm here and I know the dance." Says Damon.
The music starts and everyone gets ready to dance.

When the dance is over, Elena and Damon head to the garden to talk.
"This isn't like him to not show up. I hope he isn't in any kind of trouble." Elena looks over at Damon who is starring at her.
"What?" Elena asks.
"You, you just look incredible Elena." Damon comments.
Elena blushes and smiles back at him.
Her phone starts to ring and she looks at it.
"It's Stefan!" Elena hits answer.
"Stefan where are you? Are you okay? You missed the dance Stefan." Elena shouts into the phone.
Damon sits and listens to her. He can't help but feel sorry for her but also he's glad that he got to dance with her instead.
"Elena I'm sorry, I just, I..I think we need to take some time away from each other. I'm on my way to Louisiana. I just think it's for the best for now..I haven't been the best boyfriend to you lately and I don't want to let you down anymore. I'm sorry Elena." Stefan hangs up.
Elena sits down and throws her face into her hands and crys.
"He broke up with me, Damon. He said its what's best for now..I don't understand." Elena continues to cry.
Damon reaches over and pulls Elena into his arms.
"Elena I'm so sorry. I don't know what has gotten into him." Damon says.
She puts her head into his chest and just cries.
"Come on, I'll take you home." Damon says as he takes Elena by the hand.

When they pull up to Elena's house, he turns the car off and opens the door for Elena.
"Thanks for bringing me home Damon. Do you want to come in?" She asks.
"Sure, yeah." Damon responds.

They head inside and sit down on the couch.
Elena starts to cry again and Damon pulls her back into his arms.
"It will be okay Elena. I promise." Damon whispers down to her.
Elena doesn't pull back from his chest. She lays her head on him and stays like that.
Damon looks down and Elena has fallen asleep.
He sits back on the couch and throws a blanket around her. Elena sleeps for about an hour. When she awakes, Damon is still holding her.
"Uhm..sorry, I..I didn't meant to fall asleep." Elena says as she sits up.
"It's fine, I didn't mind." Damon says.
"Do you want something to eat? I can make us dinner. If you want to stay?" Elena asks Damon.
"Uh sure, that would be nice." Damon says.

Elena heads to the kitchen and starts making shrimp scampi.
After dinner, Elena and Damon walk outside to the porch.
"Thanks Damon, for today. Staying with me." She says
"No problem Elena." He says as he hugs Elena.
They pull back after the hug starring into each other's eyes.
Elena smiles and leans up to kiss him on the cheek.
"Goodnight Damon." She says.
Damon touches his cheek and smiles.
"What was that?" He asks.
"Just a thank you." Elena says smiling.
"I'll call you in the morning okay?" Elena tells Damon as she walks back inside.

Damon heads home and can't stop smiling. The girl he likes just kissed him on the cheek. He has to see her tomorrow. Tell her how he feels about her.

Dear diary,
Today, today was rough. But it ended well. Stefan didn't show up to the founders ball. Damon did though, he took Stefan's part for me. And after the dance, Stefan called. It didn't go so well, we broke up. He said its what's best for now. I don't understand. Damon stayed with me all day and kept me company. That helped a lot. I still feel something for Damon. I kissed him on the cheek before he left tonight, and that made me feel like a million fireworks exploding inside me. I'm seeing him tomorrow and I wish it were tomorrow already. Damon, he makes me happy.

Elena shuts her diary and puts it under her pillow and falls asleep. Smiling.