CHAPTER 3

Stacey P.O.V.

(How I imagine Stacey)

It was the fifth rodeo, and I was getting along with the guys. I had noticed they were following me when I left for the next rodeo the first night I had stayed with them, it didn’t feel creepy though more like they were keeping me safe.
I had come second to Jack. Again. For the fourth time in a row.
“You know you guys don’t have to get up at five o’clock to follow me, you could just ask me to wait for you.”
I laughed when they looked at me dumb founded.
“I am aware of my surroundings.”
Jack looked down,
“We weren’t stalking, we just wanted to make sure you were okay. You seem like you’re running from something and we didn’t want to pry, but we also needed you to be safe.”
Jaidyn and Isaac looked at each other and laughed,
“Jack wanted to make sure you were okay.”  
They both said and cracked up laughing. I chuckled a little at how red his face went. Alex cleared his throat and glared at all of them, “Actually, we were all worried, the guys are just to stubborn to admit it.”
“I was worried.” I look up shocked that John had talked let alone said he was worried about me.
I am pretty sure he had only talked to me on three occasions in the month and a half I had known these guys, he usually just shook his head or nodded.
“Don’t feel pressured to tell us now. I just want you to know that you are safe as long as you are with us or we will do our best to make you safe. Either way and if one of us is riding there should always be someone with you. There should be no reason for you to be alone if you don’t want to be.” Jack tells me with a small smile.
“Thank you. I am sorry for being a pain, if I hadn’t asked that first night to camp with you guys, you wouldn’t have been dragged into this.”
“Actually, I have a condition for you to go by.” I nodded and Jaidyn continued.
“You aren’t running from the law, are you?”
I shook my head almost amused, before I remembered what I was running from, “No. No, really, nothing like that.”
Jaidyn smiled and nodded, “Good.”
“Hey, do you guys want to go to lunch and I will try and explain a bit then?”
They all nodded, “Sure, sounds good.”
+ + + + + + + +
We sat down inside Hungry Jacks in a back booth that would fit all of us. I was sat between Jack and Alex; Alex was next to the window and I was nearly sitting on Jack because he was on the outside of the seat. Across from me was John on the outside with Hardy and then Jaidyn next to Isaac who was sitting closest to the window. It was tight but we just managed it with Alex and I not liking to have our back to people.
When our lunch got there all of the guys looked at me expectantly, I looked around the other people sitting at the tables, the place wasn’t full but there were enough people to blend into.
Unless you were followed in. I then looked outside and watched a ute pulling in, before I could see anything I was pulled from it by Jack squeezing my thigh and looking at me with concerned eyes.
“Are you okay? You don’t have to tell us. But honestly it would be good to know what we are up against.”
“I’m alright Jack, I was just thinki-…” My words trailed off as I looked over at the huge figure that had just sat down not too far away, with his hat low to cover most of his face. He couldn’t hide who it was from me. He probably wasn’t trying. Dylan.
I grabbed my stuff, “Get your food. We have to go. Now.” I whispered even though he had already seen me. Jack followed my eyes and gave me a weird look before I elbowed him in the ribs, and everyone quickly grabbed their stuff with serious faces and got up to go.
As we walked out they all gathered around me to make sure nothing could get to me. When we got outside we piled into the Cruisers and left with tyres squealing, not because I wanted to leave quick just because Isaac hadn’t grown up.
“My name is Stacey Bailey Haller. You all deserved to know that a long time ago and I’m sorry I didn’t tell you.”
“It’s fine, now what happened in there to freak you out so much?”
I didn’t really know who said it I was still shaking and in shock that he had come so close especially when all the guys were there. What would he do if only a couple of them were there? Or worse one? What would he do to me for running away?
“Stace? What’s going on?”
“I know you all deserve to know and I’m sorr-“
“That isn’t why we want to know. You are obviously freaked out and the only way we can really help is if you can tell us what is going on.”
“My stepfather. He used to beat me and usually once I was so bad I couldn’t fight back much he would tie me up and……. Touch me. He never raped me. He came awfully close. If he ever caught me again……. He may finish what he started.  I would understand if neither of you wanted to be around me anymore. Quite frankly I don’t want to be around you guys in case he hurts any of you.” I was crying and couldn’t stop I had never told anyone, never had anyone to tell and now Alex and Jack know, what would they think of me. To pathetic to fight back. Pathetic. That’s all I was. That’s why no one liked me. ‘No,’ I heard my fathers voice, ‘my beautiful girl. You are the strongest girl I know. Just because the bull bucked you off doesn’t mean you can’t get back on. Sometimes it hurts more when you fall. But you get back on.’
Dad was right, I was going to be strong like he knew I am and stand myself back up even if these guys didn’t want to help me anymore. That doesn’t mean I will go to the police; I can make myself a new life without getting his sought of people involved.
I was strong and I would rely on myself and no one else.