"Yes I did!" She argues. "You two are terrible cooks. This way you'll have leftovers."

I won't argue with that logic.

"Seriously, Mom—even if we take some home, we still can't eat all of this." Liza dramatically gestures at the two turkeys and a ham.

"Well, it's a good thing we'll have help." Victoria smiles suspiciously and turns to me, pointing at the cherry wood hutch in the formal dining room. "Use the Hermes china and set the table for six. We have guests joining us this evening."

———

"I've got it!" Frank yells from the foyer.

Peering around the hall like we're little kids kicked out of an adult conversation, Eliza and I look to see who's here. Frank and Victoria wouldn't tell us because apparently it's a surprise.

I hate surprises.

"No fucking way." My jaw drops as I watch two suits walk through the double doors carrying a bottle of scotch and a bouquet of flowers.

Liza slaps me on the arm, equally shocked. "Did they tell you they were coming?"

"No! Did they tell you?"

"No! What're they doing here?"

I shrug, just as confused. "Your guess is as good as mine."

Victoria runs past us and greets Mickey and Axel with a big hug and a kiss on each cheek. They hand her the gifts and chat by the front door.

Does she know? Does Frank know, too? But how?

After a few minutes, Victoria glances in our direction and we dart behind the wall, trying not to get caught. She shouts across the room, interrupting our laughter. "Girls, your boyfriends are here!"

Liza chokes on her wine, spitting it onto the hardwood floor. "Boyfriend?!"

Yep. They definitely know.

Walking over to the guys, I wonder what the hell is going on.

Axel could've at least sent a warning text.

I raise a brow at Frank, ready to interrogate him and Victoria.

"Scandal is gossip made tedious by morality," he responds, talking in his usual riddles.

"Oscar Wilde," Axel and I answer in unison.

Could he be any cuter?

He catches me staring and a devilish grin forms across his face, making my cheeks burn.

"Well, done." Frank smiles with pride. "I knew you two would be perfect together ever since you both called out Socrates that day in my office."

Yeah a famous philosopher was the reason, not the fact we fucked the weekend before.

"Let me guess." Liza rolls her eyes. "That gossiping bitch Stephanie?"

Victoria nods. "To be fair, most of the office is talking about you four anyway. Especially after Jack Dean's drunken display."

My face gets hotter as the embarrassment spreads to my ears. I try to hide my growing anxiety by looking at my feet.

Office gossip once again.

Axel places his hand on my lower back, sensing my discomfort. He rubs the same spot with a reassuring stroke.

I love him.

"Frank approached me at work yesterday, inviting us for dinner."

Victoria chimes in. "I asked them to keep it a—"