Syrupy Eyes and Bloodied Lips

Começar do início

"I'll be fine. Starvation is going to kill me before a punch in the face," Kinn said.

"And to the gut," I said.

Kinn focused on the area full of tables and scanned for an empty one.

"Where's our food?" He asked, moving his head around as if it'd give him a better look.

I gave up on being his nurse and pointed at the table on the side away from people.

He nodded and trudged over to the sweet scent of basil while holding a hand on his abdomen. I matched his trail. Muttering under his breath, he tugged one of the chairs out from the table and seated himself with a grunt.

I sat across and watched him begin to eat his food. He took no time scarfing down his chicken like he wasn't injured. I stared at him in disbelief, not bothering to touch my plate.

"We're really not going to talk about this?" I asked.

I needed to know what I was getting myself into. What did I need to look out for? Eventually, I was going to be caught in the crossfires, and I wanted to be prepared for whatever the hell that entailed. Something told me Kinn was a walking target.

"The rice is a little on the dry side," Kinn said with a mouthful of food.

I rolled my eyes. "You know what I meant."

He scooped another spoonful of rice and shoved it in his mouth. Subtly, he winced as the utensil brushed against his busted lips.

Resting my arms on the table, I said, "Does it have to do with those two guys from earlier?"

"No," he said hastily.

It definitely does.

"Then why can't we talk about it?"

And who the hell were they?

Kinn sighed and set his spoon down. "There is no we. There's you, and there's me. You have your business, and I have mine."

"Why go to BU if you don't plan on taking it seriously?" I asked.

"You say that like I chose to be there."

"Didn't you?"

He shrugged and went back to filling his mouth with chicken.

Seething in my chair, my hands squeezed into fists against the cold tabletop. I worked hard to get into that fucking school. Here, Kinn was insinuating he was forced there. Effortlessly, he superseded the school records. At least let me keep my scores if he cared so little about it. I clenched my jaw and did everything in my power to keep myself from jumping across the table to add new colors to his stunning face.

"You're a prick," I hissed.

"So you keep reminding me."

The more he ate, the more his lip wound was tearing. Kinn kept toying with his cut by lapping up the blood with his tongue. I cringed at the grotesque sight. Annoyed, I picked up a napkin from the table and reached over in attempts to gently dab the red from his lips. Kinn dodged my hand.

His fluffy lashes fluttered. "What're you doing?"

"Stay still," I ordered.

His gaze softened. Setting his food aside, he leaned towards me. Kinn allowed me to continue. I folded the napkin neatly and lightly applied pressure to the wound. Though he didn't vocalize it, the occasional jolt from his shoulders told me it was still sensitive.

Getting a closer look, I could see a faint scar slit on his right cheek. It was camouflaged well with his fair complexion. His eyes also weren't this stark black that soullessly stared at me. There was a syrupy-brown warmth that fought to hide their delicateness. But I wouldn't allow them to keep secrets from me. I wanted to look at them like this long enough that I'd discover his mysteries.