Chapter I | She Is Dead

The servant got into her lady's bedroom to open the blinders. ''Lady Aurelia, it's almost time for breakfast, please wake up.'' Aurelia took off her sleeping mask as the servant opened the blinders. Sunlight covered the room, almost painful for the young girl's sleepy eyes. ''It's such a bright day, isn't it Rosa?'' ''It really is my lady!'' The servant brought clothes from the wardrobe with her and started undressing the lady from her nightgown. ''A day like this is meant to be spent outside, but yet, here I am having lessons till noon.'' ''Weren't you the one who requested them, my lady?'' ''Indeed. But this doesn't mean that I don't want to get lazy through the sun.'' Rosa didn't say anything. Instead, she carefully prepared her Lady. Dressing her up and brushing her strawberry blonde hair, was one of her duties as her personal servant after all.

She still remembers how worried she was at first. She didn't fancy the idea of having to watch after a little girl who was born a commoner. But after some years her lady was acting with better manners than most nobles. Especially now, that Aurelia turned sixteen, Rosa knew that Aurelia's breathtaking looks and intelligence would make it easy for her to get engaged into a good family. She was only worried that if her lady got married she would leave her for a more experienced servant.

''Rosa, is there something bothering you? I can tell that you are quite skeptical these days.''

''It's nothing you should worry about!''

Aurelia smirked at her. ''I don't think that's the case. But I won't pressure you. Just let me know if anything is unpleasant for you.''

The servant returned the smile. ''I will!''

  Rosa was the only person, except her mother, that Aurelia actually cared about. When she first came into the mansion, Rosa, was the only person who treated her with care from the very start. So it didn't take long for them to grow friendly and familiar with each other.

                                                                                         ~~~

She sat at the table where the rest of the family were waiting for her to start eating their breakfast. Her stepbrother gave her a cold glance ''Do you think it is proper to make others wait for you for so long?''

''Oh, my~ Good morning to you too my dear brother. Mm~ these pancakes look divine. Devouring them shall be fun. Don't you agree mother?''

''They are really delicious. Alejandro, bless your hands!'' (Alejandro is the chef).

Markus ignored them and looked at his father who had started eating. ''Are you leaving tomorrow father?''

''Not really. I shall leave today since this morning's weather is more suitable for such a long trip.''

''So soon?''

'' The sooner the better. Oh! I almost forgot to mention, Lady Valentina sent you a letter yesterday while you were fencing with your teacher.''

''Where is it?''

''I think I left it on your desk.''

''Excuse me then.''

The boy left in a rush. Aurelia found it quite strange since he isn't really excited whenever his fiance writes to him. He usually doesn't even reply to her letters, but this time, it was like he was expecting it.

''Young love~'' Said, Mrs. Antall and Mr. Antall replied, ''It looks like he got used to the idea of getting married to Lady Valentina.''

Did he really?

                                       ~~~

  Aurelia, after she finished her lessons, carefully worked on a handkerchief she would give her stepfather to wish him a safe trip. You see, she had in mind to ask him for a Riviere necklace later since it was quite popular these days, so she tried to be as nice as she could with him. When the time for Duke Antall's leaving came, she noticed Markus's nervousness. Was he upset that his father had to leave for a long period of time? Or was he up to something mischievous? He couldn't be though. He was a person that tried not to cause trouble to his family. He was taking honor very seriously and was capable of doing anything to keep his family's name clean. But then again, he was constantly touching his neck as to allay himself and his feet were nervously hitting on the floor. Aurelia kept these signs in mind, but in the end, she didn't give it enough caution to find out what was going on with him. She didn't care either, she has always kept a distance from her stepbrother's life as much as she could anyway.