Chapter 40: Best Trophy (Pt. 2)

Start from the beginning

Coach Garr stood by with the little chart he always had with him wherever he goes as he reviewed the carefully devised assignments he gave the team the day before while the boys patiently waited to be called.

"Wow, you look like you're probably the least nervous among all of us," Ian murmured to his best friend while Bryce found his seat next to Blake. Emery scoffed deliriously. "You know we're not allowed to drink before the competition right? That's for after." Ian joked, "If we win."

"Shut up, I'm not drunk," the redhead retorted, tucking his hair in his lucky navy blue cap. "I guess the nerves don't come that often anymore when you already know where Coach is gonna assign you."

Coach Garr's voice suddenly interjected before Ian could speak. "Yeun, Taylor, Robinson, and Norris you boys are gonna kick-start this meet as planned. Blake, save your breath, 'cause you're doing a freestyle solo right afterward," Ian and Blake nodded as they were instructed before Coach Garr proceeded to the others, flipping the pages of his coaching plan.

"Suarez, you're on the individual medley, you know what to do," he said as he scanned the room, checking to see if everyone was around. "And..."

"Sanders," he called while Asher stood, attentive. "You'll be doing the 50-yard freestyle and the hundred-yard backstroke this afternoon."

Although a bit confused about the sudden change, Asher nodded obediently anyway. "Yes, sir."

For Emery, who was previously assigned for that event, not so much. "Uh, coach...?" he stood slowly, careful of his tone while Ian watched. "What about me? I thought I was gonna do Asher's."

Without sparing him a glance, Coach Garr muttered, "No, that's not happening anymore."

"What?" puzzled Emery as he followed Coach at the end of the pool, raising his voice so he could be heard over all the noise. "What do you mean it's not happening?"

"I mean you're not doing the 50-yard," Coach Garr answered candidly, pointing his pen tat the direction of Bryce. "You'll be joining Occonor and the others in the 400 freestyle relay after you do the first solo butterfly this afternoon."

"WHAT?" the redhead exclaimed, feeling his heart literally skip a beat at his coach's sudden declaration. "Y-you want me to do a hundred yard...? And a relay?" he stammered. "But... but I'm..."

It's been a while since he last did a relay let alone one where he has to swim alongside his captain. Roughly 3 years ago, the number of swimmers that tried out and made the team increased rapidly, and since then, he never got the chance to be assigned to a relay, and he was okay with that, so being told that he has to do one today, in his last high school competition on the last minute is quite a big deal for Emery.

"How about Lewis?" he queried hopefully.

"Broke his leg surfing yesterday," Coach Garr informed, face blank.

"Greg?" he added, optimistic. "I'm sure Greg would love to replace him."

"Dropped out last year," Coach raised a brow in his student's direction. "Come on."

"Okay..." Emery nodded slowly. "How about-"

"Chernychevsky."

The redhead gulped. "Yes, sir."

"Can you not swim?"

"I- no- I mean, of course I can, Coach," he swallowed. "I can."

"Okay. Does your head hurt? Are you constipated?"

"No..."

"Does your family have a medical history of freaking out for no reason?"

"I-" Emery drew in a breath, already knowing where this conversation is headed. "No."