Ch.9: A Chance.

Song: Trampoline - SHAED ft. Zayn.

There wasn’t a ball that night, everyone stayed on their rooms while the king and queen decided what would they do about the recent situation. Sadly, they couldn’t get answer from the jade prince since they found him dead on the hall.

They think that he might had killed himself after seeing that his attack failed. But they would never understand why he did what he did.

The princess is now under the watch of her knights, to prevent her to get killed if something like this happens again.

Gabriel and Nathanael were sitting on their bed, glaring at each other without breaking the eye contact. To Nathanael, it was unfair that this… bastard managed to get the attention of the princess before himself, after all, he was the heartbreaker, the lover that every woman wanted and dreamed of, so, how was possible that he got to have the princess to love him, he was a nobody, just a simple knight.

Gabriel, on the other hand… wanted to rip his spinal cord from his back and use it to tie him down on a bridge hanging him upside down… but he couldn’t. He made an oath to serve and protect his family bloodlineand as long as he was a knight, he has to follpw the oath. They could only make an exception if the royal family member did something to betray the kingdom, and right now, he couldn’t think on one thing that’ll allow him to rip him apart.

A knock on the door resounds in the room as a voice speaks from the other side.

“Excuse me, prince Nathanael, the king and the queen requested your presence along with your knight in the common room” a maid said.

“We will be there” he answers with a serious tone on his voice.

Standing up from the bed, Nathanael looks down at his knight with a frown on his face.

“Do what you do best and shut the fuck up” he exits the room.

Gabriel stands up while gripping his fist, he really wanted to punch his face.

Once they arrive to the common room, they kneel down at the presence of the king and queen. Looking from the corner of his eye, Gabriel sees the princess standing on the side with knights next to her and Keva behind her.

“You may stand up…” the king speaks.

The stand up looking at the royalties in front of them.

“First thing first…” the king clears his throat “I would like to thank you, prince Nathanael, for sending your knight to protect my child”

“It was my pleasure” the prince bows a little “I couldn’t help but think in the princess when I heard that they were attacking the castle, I’m glad that my knight was able to reach to her before it was too late”

Gabriel kept his serious face, even when he wanted to strangle the prince in front of him.

“Second thing second” the queen speaks “We wanted to thank the knight for being able to protect her from a sudden attack like that and from many knights against him before our army arrived”

Gabriel bows “I only did what I had to do”

The princess smiles at him with a light blush on her cheeks.

“As far as we know, you are the only prince that we can trust for now, we don’t know if they’ll be another sudden attack on this castle and we can’t risk putting our little princess in danger again” the king stands up “So, prince Nathanael… you are the first option we have to marry our daughter and become king of The White Kingdom”

“K-King?” the prince looks at the king in shock.

“Father?” the princess speaks up. She knows that she was supposed to stay quiet but the statement took her by surprise “Are you sure?”

“I am… our other daughters are already married and they left the kingdom a long time ago… I’m aware that I’m an old man and might not live long enough to have a son… so I want to leave my legacy in the wisdom of my latest child”

“However…” the queen stands up next to the king “We’ll also want to offer the same chance to the knight that saved our daughter”

“W-What?” the prince asks “I don’t mean to disrespect your decision, but Gabriel isn’t part of the royal family”

“But he is a high rank knight, right?” the queen tilts her head.

The prince frowns a little “He… He is…”

“Then he’s strong enough to be able to protect this kingdom from outsiders” the king nods and looks at the knight “But it’s up to you, of course”

Gabriel couldn’t believe what he just heard. Never in his life he considered the chance of becoming a king, and now, the royalties in front of him offered him that chance… but that wasn’t all they offered him.

Looking at his side, he sees the calm princess looking back at him, but something on her eyes were shining with happiness that she had to control in front of her parents. But seeing behind her, he could identify the rage on Keva’s eyes. He had to keep a closer eye on her, there was something bad going on with the way she looked at the princess. He hears his friend clearing his throat and when he looks at him, he notices the subtle glare on his eyes.

Nathanael knew that he couldn’t use the ‘purity’ card right now, if Gabriel was seen as a option to marry the princess, then telling them that it would mean that Gabriel would have the marriage guarantied.

Gabriel knew that too, but he wouldn’t dare to put the princess on shame… now he has a chance to fight for her… even if that meant fighting with other five princes and his childhood friend, now he has the chance to have her all by himself. He didn’t care about the power that the king was offering him, he only cared for finally being able to keep the woman he loves the most without nothing being able to stop him.

With a hand on his chest, he bows “It’ll be my honor to have an opportunity to marry your daughter, your highness”