Chapter 7

The kingdom of Mewni, usually abuzz with its citizens scrambling through their day to day life, was abnormally somber. Those who dared to step foot outside walked with their heads hanging low, their mouths pressed into a tight line. They wore outfits of all black to honor the day's significant meaning.

The day was spent mourning for their lost princess, who had been presumed dead by the Royal Mewman search party. They had returned that afternoon to the kingdom bearing the dreadful news, which was made official with a decree from the grieving king and queen themselves.

The beloved Princess Star, who had gone missing just two nights before, was almost certainly dead. Theories that she was kidnapped by monster pirates to be killed as an attack on the throne circulated through the villagers' whispered conversations.

All other investigations into the matter were dropped, as all hope for the return of the royal heir was lost.

•·················•·················•

The ocean was a shimmering blanket of blue, its gentle rolling waves putting Star in a sort of trance as she looked over the side of the deck. There was nothing but the foaming water as far as the eye could see. She took a bite of a stale biscuit, the most abundant item on the ship's menu. While less than desirable, the food was an ample lunch.

It was around the middle of the day, which she knew only by the position of the sun in the sky as it blazed down upon her. It was hot. She felt even more conscious of the long-sleeved dress she wore, fanning herself with her free hand.

"Beautiful, isn't it?" Marco approached her and rested his arms on the railing, looking out at the ocean. "The sea can be mesmerizing." Like your eyes, he nearly added, then thought better of it.

"Yeah," Star responded, finishing her biscuit. "The heat is miserable, though." She continued to fan herself.

"Life of a pirate, I guess." he frowned. "Explains why we stink." Why did he say that?

She giggled. "Seriously though, could I have a change of clothes? This thing is a death trap."

"Ah, of course. Actually," Marco walked toward his quarters, beckoning her to follow. "The ship will be stopping somewhere shortly."

Star perked up at this. "Stopping... somewhere?" she inquired. They entered the cabin.

"Just a little detour. We'll be stopping by the island of Tortaga." He went behind his desk and opened a drawer, pulling out ordinary villager garb. The outfit consisted of a simple white blouse and a long faded red skirt. He handed it to her and added, "To help you blend in."

She held back a grin as she accepted the clothing. She'd never been to Tortaga, but the stories she'd heard about it were enough to get her excited. Not only would she be able to visit the village for the first time, but it could be her chance to escape her captives. Why would they risk that?

"Why are we docking?" she voiced her thoughts.

Marco chuckled and itched his head, which Star had concluded was a nervous tick of his. "Well, we're just running a bit low on supplies, is all. That and uh, the boys are lookin' to visit their favorite tavern."

"Oh?" Star's curiosity blossomed. A drunk pirate was easier to escape than a regular one. "Will you be joining them, Captain?"

"Marco," he corrected her. "And we'll see." He walked her out of his quarters and towards her own.

"How about you?" he offered, changing the subject. "Have you ever been to Tortaga, Star?" He made a point to use her name and not her title.

"I haven't, no, but I've heard tales of it."

The previously lively scene on deck had been swept away and replaced with the less rowdy activity of everyday work.

"Hm," they reached the entrance to her cabin. "You'll have to tell me if it lives up to these stories. The place has a certain... charm to it, for sure. Just maybe not one you'd expect."

"I see," she responded, then voiced her thoughts. "We'll be stopping for supplies, is it? Wouldn't a band of pirates such as yourself retrieve such resources in the plundering of other ships and towns?"

Marco chuckled at this. "Aye, some would, but it would seem we're not the same treacherous group of rogues as you would make us out to be." With that, he left her to change.

•·················•·················•

The ship was bustling with energy as the crew made final preparations for its anchored location on the harbor of Tortaga. Between duties they would babble to each other about their plans for the night. It seemed that the band of pirates would be set loose upon the town, free to roam and do so as they please before meeting back at the boat.

Star had dressed in the getup Marco had given her and curled her hair with help from Jackie. Her elaborate golden curls cascaded past her shoulders and down her back. She had no idea what the night had in store for her, but the help from a fellow female gave her some reassurance.

She sat on the bed in her cabin pondering what her plans would be. She was at a disadvantage, as it was uncharted territory, but could she pull off an escape? She decided that she would have to play it by ear.

Hearing one of the pirates announce that they would be departing, she exited the room and joined the group on deck as a plank was lowered to the dock. Several of them scrambled down onto the pier, joining dozens of other anchored sailors as they made their way into the town.

Marco approached her wearing his usual seafaring attire and escorted her down to the docks. They wormed their way through the boisterous group of visitors and into the town, following a cobblestone trail.

"Where are we going?" Star nearly shouted in order to be heard.

"The Rat Tooth!" he called back.

The cacophony of the crowd covered his words, making it a struggle for her to distinguish what he was saying.

"The wha—OOF!" she tripped over the shoes of someone in the crowd, falling straight into the man in front of her. He stopped and turned around, glowering down at her. He was a full head taller than her and looked ready to strike her, while Star could do nothing but stare up in shock at the stranger's menace.

An arm looped around her shoulder and pulled her close. "Sorry about that mister, she's had a bit too much to drink." He flashed him a grin. The man just grumbled and continued walking.

Star let out a sigh of relief and he let go of her. "You okay?" Worry flashed across his eyes.

She nodded. "Thanks."

"'Course."

Shortly after they started to walk forward, the blonde reached forward and held onto Marco's hand. Neither of them said a word as they continued down the street.

•·················•·················•

After several minutes of walking through town, the pair reached their destination. The Rat Tooth was a popular tavern in town that Marco often visited with his crew. As they approached it, Star was alarmed by the amount of noise blasting from inside. What startled her even more, however, was when a bottle was thrown through a window and out into the night, scattering shards of glass. Hoots and hollers from within came shortly after.

She reluctantly followed him inside and sat at a table towards the corner of the room, attempting to isolate herself from the chaos while Marco roamed the tavern, greeting old friends.

After a while of sipping rum by herself, Star got up to step outside for a breath of fresh air. Before she could reach the door, she was swept into a cluster of several tavern patrons dancing merrily to the sound produced by a band of musicians.

The rhythm of the beat and the movement of the people around her was so new and exhilarating to her that she couldn't help but join in. The night flew by in a flash. The last thing she remembered was being carried back to the ship by a pair of strong arms, too intoxicated to walk herself.