40: He's Awake

|Natalie|

"Hurry," Adrianna barks as we run through the halls to the room where Max was moved to.

The Death Alpha and I were racing the clock basically as we get to his room. There he lays, still unconscious and hooked up to all those machines. Goddess, I cannot wait for this nightmare to be over. I just want to hold my mate and look at his eyes, hear his voice.

The Death Priestess takes the objects from us and smears it on his wounds, his heart, eyes, and abdomen.

"I am going to need absolutely silence and space while I cast this, am I clear," she asks.

The Death Luna and I back away, Octavius was already gone. Adrianna explained to me he feasts on life energy, so he probably was going to go and contain the two life forces being expelled. Just as his mate he has divine magic but cannot use it or it'll poison his blood stream. In order to prevent that he casts said magic and instantly consumes one. This not only prevents the poison but he regains his strength and energy. Sure, Adrianna can heal him and give him back his energy, but he is taking this opportunity not letting perfectly good life forces go to waste.

Adrianna shields my eyes in her shoulder and pushes her face into my shoulder as the room flashes in colors. Being covered in shapes and other forms. Although our eyes were covered the lights were still bleeding through our eyelids, giving me a headache. Her chants called upon others, now making the room sound like children crying out. A powerful force leaves her body making us drop to our knees in shock and pain. It took the air right out of my lungs.

Right after that the room calmed down and it went back to normal as if nothing happened.

"It is done, now we just wait," she tells.

Adrianna picks herself up off the ground and assists me up as well.

"Thank you," I murmur.

She only nods.

|Alpha Maxwell|

My eyes strain against the light overhead, taking time to readjust to the light. Yet, I see Three heads beaming at me. I try to call out, but my throat is dry and horse. How long have I been out for? What as happened to my kingdom? Is Natalie safe?

I blink a few times and shield my eyes.

"Give him some space," a male barks and I feel his fingers slide against the sides of my face.

Octavius looks down at me smirking. "Is that better, buddy?"

Sunglasses. I nod.

"What? Cat got your tongue?"

Smack. "Octavius! He just woke up! His throat is dry," his mate shuns and then yells, "Can someone please get the King a drink!"

Thankfully one is brought to me and I down it quickly. "Thank you," I cough out.

"No problem, how are you feeling," he asks.

"Fine," I struggle to talk.

A nurse comes and sits up the bed and I see everyone in the room, my mate sitting at the foot of the bed. She smiles brightly.

"Max," she says softly.

"Baby," I respond.

At that point everyone starts to file out, giving us much needed privacy. She moves up the bed so she is closer and I wrap my arms around her in tight hug, but she backs up a little, loosening my grip.

"What is the matter," I ask.

"Not too tight, Max," she tells.

I nod and her arms wrap back around me, something seeming off, but I do not let it bother me.

"How long have I been out?"

"Three long ass weeks."

"How are you, my love?"

"I am doing great. Running the pack was a bit much, but an eye opener. Ryder and my father have been helping. The pack has calmed down and the criminals are dead for their crimes."

I shake my head. "I am asking how are you doing? Not that pack, I want to hear about you first."

She smiles but it quickly fades as shaky hand reaches for mine and guides it to her stomach. My eyes widen feeling the sudden bond, my wolf howling in celebration. I was still trying to process everything and she goes and surprises me.

"Are you?"

She nods, tears pricking at her eyes and she bites her bottom lip. "I am."

"Oh fuck me, I am so sorry. So sorry, Natalie ."

"Why? You couldn't control Desmond and his little schemes."

"I know, but I wish I could've been with you. This must be so hard taking on not only your own duties but mine. You literally just became Queen and you aren't use to your duties yet and I go and dump mine on you."

"Shh, it is over now. You are awake and the pup is only four and a half weeks in, you will be there for the first kick and the birth. That is all that matters," she soothes and runs her hand over my forehead.

I still felt bad she took on so much work and then had to prepare to carry and raise a pup on her own. I wish I could've been there for when she found out, hell, she probably had no clue. I just feel like a horrible mate with piling so much stress on her at once. I should've listened to her when she said to call off the challenge.

I am going to be a Dad.

~~~

Good evening everyone!!! This is an early update since this week I'm going to be busy and don't know when I'll be able to update, so I'm doing it now when I have the time.

I am starting my public speaking class this Monday, it goes from Monday to Thursday (pain).

Lastly, their son's book has been delayed until Friday since I've been busy. I have been practicing for my drivers test next month. (I'm very nervous and anxious about it).

I hope you all a wonderful and safe week!

~Becca, The Queen of Beans