Chp 21: It's good to be king

Albus Dumbledore: Headmaster of Hogwarts, Supreme Mugwump of the International Confederation of Wizards, Chief Warlock of the Wizengamot, defeater of Grindelwald and Leader of the Light was very annoyed. His familiar had absconded with his Potions Master and spy, and now his tool; Harry Potter was missing. Along with all his friends. Curiously enough, Draco Malfoy also seemed to have disappeared. Not that he cared about the Malfoy brat. No, Malfoy was lost to the Dark. There would be no redemption for that child. Better for all if the whole family was wiped out. How fortunate that Malfoy Sr. was still in Azkaban. Albus sniggered, happy with the pompous man’s fate.

His scowl soon returned as he planned. Potter. The laws he’d pushed through the Wizengamot were coming into effect, and as soon as he could find the wretched boy and cast the guardian locus spell on him, all the brat’s riches and belongings would be under his control. The boy would have no rights until he turned twenty-one, and by then Albus would have him under so many compulsions and inhibiting spells that he would a mindless killing machine. Then he would the proper tool that he was born to be. He hadn’t sent the whiny brat to live with those muggles for nothing. The thought brought another scowl to his face. Obviously the Dursleys had treated their nephew too well; he’d instructed them to stamp all signs of rebellion and original thought from the child. A few compulsion spells would have them fixed up for Harry’s next stay. Oh yes, Potter would soon learn who his Master was.

Speaking of Masters, there was the matter of Severus to deal with. He’d obviously been too lax with his spy lately. It was possible that his usefulness was at an end. He was a terrible teacher, even if he was the best potions brewer in Europe. It would be a pity to lose that skill. However…a stay in Azkaban would do the over-proud man some good. Yes, a few weeks visiting with the Dementors as an exposed Death Eater, then Albus would ‘rescue’ him. With all Snape’s assets seized as war reparations, and shunned by the light, he’d have no one to turn to except his mentor, nowhere to go except Hogwarts. He wouldn’t be allowed contact with the children, of course, but there were plenty of isolated dungeon rooms in which he could be locked. Snape would be indebted to Albus, and would do whatever was required of him. As it should be.

His thoughts cheered him, and Albus unwrapped one of his untainted lemon sherbets. “Must remember to renew the compulsions on the other sweets,” he murmured to himself. “Now, what else must I deal with today…?”

He’d need a new spy in the Death Eater ranks of course. Perhaps the Longbottom boy? There were many similarities between Longbottom and Pettigrew, both near-squibs, ignored and ridiculed by almost everyone else. It hadn’t taken much to turn Peter, and Albus was sure that he’d be able to subtly guide Neville into fulfilling his plans.

Amused and full of his own self-importance, the Headmaster chuckled and sat back to survey his domain. All he needed now was for the three men to reappear and he could put his plans into motion. It was good to be king.

   ------------------- ~♥~ -------------------
A few floors down from where the Headmaster sat gloating, Harry and his circle gathered in the Room of Requirements. Still growing, Fawkes could only carry one at a time, and needed to take breaks in between trips, so it was sometime before they were all together again. Finally, Harry surveyed his most trusted friends, each one ready for what was to come.

“It’s time,” he began. “I will not let that man control my life or Severus’ any longer. He doesn’t deserve the position he has, and he is unworthy of such respect. Do you all know what you have to do?”

Each person – Hermione, Ron, Fred, George, Ginny, Draco, Neville and Remus – nodded. Smiling, Harry thanked Merlin and the gods for giving him such good friends. “Okay, we have a few minutes before we have to leave. Remus, can I have a word?”