Alpine The Matchmaker Pt.3

With his arms full of grocery bags, Bucky makes his way to his apartment and finds Sam waiting for him outside his door.

"Oh, hi, Sam." Bucky said smiling shyly.

"Hey, Buck. Here, let me take some of that off your hands." Sam said taking about half of Bucky's grocery bags from him.

"Thanks." Bucky replied.

He digs his keys out of his pocket then unlocks his door and lets Sam into his apartment.

"So what brings you here?" Bucky asked as him and Sam placed the grocery bags on the kitchen counter.

"Dunno, maybe I missed seeing the wheels in that cyborg brain of yours turning, or those steely blue eyes of yours, or maybe I was bored and need somebody to annoy the sh*t out of." Sam mumbled taking the groceries out of the bags.

"Where does this go?" he asked holding up a box of cereal.

"In that cabinet over there." Bucky answered pointing to the cabinet next to the fridge.

As they put away groceries, Bucky couldn't stop thinking about what Sam said...specifically the "steely blue eyes" part. What did Sam mean by that? Was he being his usual self and joking around? Or was he for real complimenting Bucky's eyes.

"So this is the Sam, my human talks so much about...I thought he'd be taller." Alpine thought when he walked into the room.

He jumped onto the counter and meowed.

"Alpine, no. Get off the counter." Bucky scolded.

"Shut up and introduce me to your friend." Alpine chattered.

"So this is your new kitty-cat, Alpine?" Sam asked letting Alpine sniff his hand before petting him.

"Yep. He kinda just does what he wants sometimes. He's cute, so he gets away with it a lot." Bucky said picking up Alpine and placing him on the floor.

Sam and Bucky go into the living room and sit on the couch. Then, Alpine jumps onto the couch and places his toy mouse next to Sam's knee.

"I think he wants you to play with him." Bucky chuckled.

The winged Avenger grabs the toy mouse by the tail and dangles it over Alpine's head. He plays with the cat by keeping the toy just out of reach. Then, Alpine finally knocks the toy out of Sam's hand, and wraps his front legs around Sam's wrist, gently gnawing at his fingers while kicking his back legs against Sam's arm.

"Hehe, silly cat." Sam said trying to pull his arm away from the cat.

"Come on, Alpine, cut it out." Bucky laughed, prying his cat off of his friend's arm.

He cradles the cat in his arms like he's a baby and kisses his head.

"Ya know, it's f**king adorable seeing you being so in love with that furball." Sam said leaning his arm on the back of the couch.

Immediately, Bucky's face turns bright red and his brain ceases all function.

"I...I-I...it's just been a very long time since I've had a pet. Almost forgot what it felt like." Bucky told Sam, trying to hide his blushing face.

"You alright there, Buck? Your face looks red, you feeling okay?" Sam asked scooting a little closer.

"Y-yep, it's just a bit h-hot in here." Bucky stammered, his voice going up slightly in pitch.

He unzips his jacket and takes it off then tosses it onto the coffee table in front of him.

"Bucky, what's going on with you, you've been acting weird since I got here." Sam said, stretching his arm across the back of the couch behind Bucky's head.

Taking a deep inhale and exhale, Bucky tries to calm his nerves and slow down his racing heart. He didn't know what to say, his mind was drawing a blank and not a single word was able to come out of his mouth. Alpine sensed Bucky's growing anxiety and knew he was on the verge of an attack.

"I don't think he's ready for this much closeness with Sam just yet. I'm gonna have to do something to give my human a little space." Alpine thought to himself.

He jumps off of Bucky's lap and onto the coffee table. Then he walks over to Sam's drink and knocks it off the coffee table, causing the glass cup to shatter on the floor.

"Alpine! No!" Bucky gasped.

"I got it, Buck." Sam said standing up and carefully stepping around the glass.

"No, no, I'll get it." Bucky muttered, kneeling on the floor.

"Bucky, be careful, the glass is everywhere." Sam warned, grabbing the broom and dustpan.

"Sh*t!" Bucky cursed.

"What happened?" Sam asked returning to the living room.

"....nothing..." Bucky mumbled, clutching his flesh forefinger in his metal hand.

"Did you cut your finger?" Sam asked, sweeping up the glass.

"....maybe...." Bucky shrugged.

After throwing away the broken glass, Sam helps Bucky bandage up his cut finger. Even after the finger had been bandaged, Sam still held Bucky's hand in his.

"M-my finger's fine now...you can let go of my hand." Bucky said nervously.

"What if....I didn't want to." Sam replied, intertwining their fingers and leaning in close.

Sam's lips lightly brush against Bucky's, causing him to momentarily hold his breath. Then, Sam seals the deal and kisses Bucky, gently holding his chin between his thumb and forefinger.

"Woah, didn't intend for this to happen, but I can't argue with the results." Alpine thought.

Suddenly, Bucky pulls away and scoots back putting distance between him and Sam.

"I-I'm tired...I think I'm gonna go to bed." Bucky said quickly standing up and speedwalking to his bedroom.

"But...it's 6:30pm." Sam said confused and concerned.

"Goodnight, Sam!" Bucky replied, blocking out Sam's words.

When the bedroom door closes roughly, Sam sighs heavily with his head in his hands.

"Well, god f**king d*mn it, we were so close. Guess I'll have to come up with another plan." Alpine huffed, laying his head in between his paws.

On the other side of the bedroom door, Bucky sits on the floor with his back against the door hugging his knees to his chest. He buries his face into his knees as tears streamed from his eyes and he repeatedly called himself an idiot for pushing Sam away.