13 - The Raid - Part 2

Start from the beginning

"Shoot the roof to try to block them as we run," Dan instructed me, reloading both his guns as we ran, "The front door should be the next left, it's a straight shot past a couple classrooms."

"Kay," I reached back and stroked between Daisy's ears for a moment to calm her, "Let's go."

Dan passed me as we kept running, and I shot up and back, crumbling the roof and walls as we went along. It did occur to me that I was seriously damaging my sister's school, but then I realized - if I damage it enough, Daisy won't have to go to school for a while. She'll be safer at home with mom and dad than she would be alone at school. Then again she'd be more likely to see the broadcasts and... well, that means a higher chance of her seeing me... she might see the moment when...

...No. She won't see me die.

I can't be so negative all the time. Sure I may not be well equipped, I may not have the skills, and I may not have the guts to... kill someone... but damnit, I can't always say I'm going to lose. I've got to play my strengths. This hacking challenge in the city could be crucial to me surviving the next few days, and Dan as well. I said I'd make mom proud regardless of what happens to me, I should at least show her that all that hacking and computer training I did with dad actually paid off. I'm going to accomplish something, at least.

"There!" Dan caught my attention, and I noticed we were running right up to the front doors.

Gunshots were fired behind us and I instinctively ducked for cover, sliding to a side hall. Dan did the same, though he was much closer to the front doors. From where I was, I could see he had a pretty damn good chance of escape - he had to bust through the windows before and in the main office and he's outside. I was less fortunate, a hall back from Dan and solid brick in front of me. I had Daisy with me as well, so I can't risk her getting shot if I tried to run to Dan. Looking the other way, this hall is lined with classrooms then just ends. Daisy and I were cornered...

Since this is a lockdown, and there are multiple threats all with guns, we only had so much time before the police get here. They are free to try and capture Players of The Game. Adds action, drama, suspense, yadda-yadda. But for us right now, it's bad news. We had to get out right now, or we'd receive a serious punishment in terms of The Game. The only catch is that Dan and I have to escape, without getting Daisy hurt in the process.

Fuck...

Dan was shooting back at them, ducking for cover after every few shots. I tried to help, but when I pulled the trigger of my gun, it beeped, and the blue lines became red. The trigger became stiff as well.

"Shit, I can't shoot!" I yelled to Dan.

"It's-" Dan ducked out of cover, shooting back the rest of his clip until his gun clicked uselessly. "-Out of ammo! Here!" Dan reached into his pocket and tossed me one of the black cartridges that we found along with the gun. As soon as I grabbed the cartridge and brought it close to my gun, the top of the gun opened to reveal a slot perfectly made for the cartridge. I slipped in the new cartridge, and the red lines became blue again.

I was about to start shooting back, but I realized that the gunfire had stopped for a moment, on both sides. Thinking fast, I motioned for Dan to stay put and not shoot back. He looked very confused but did as I asked. He was still clearly ready to fire, but was waiting on me.

I cleared my throat, turning my head and shouting, "Hey, stop! There's a kid out here!"

It was quiet for a second before one of the guys who had been shooting at us replied, "Do you think we fuckin' care? Get out here and fight!"

"Let the kid go outside first!" I said, ignoring Dan's wide eyes and shaking head, "Let her walk outside where she'll be safe, she can't get into a classroom!"