4 - Deep end

Chapter 4

One would say hospital rooms are usually rather quiet. This one wasn't like that however, as what filled this room wasn't silence, but the ear-piercing screams of the one I loved most.

"Quick!! Get Recovery Girl!!" Someone yelled. I wouldn't be able to fulfill the request, with my body frozen in time out of shock. Was he going to die? Were my efforts to save him all for nothing?

The silver haired child somewhat matched my stance, as she was too in shock of what she has set in action. The others were running around in the panic of the polyphonically screeching patient.

Are you Oboro or Kurogiri? My immobility faded as I shuffled over to the bed, the deafening sound louder than before. The entire body twitched in spasm like movements, trying to lose the restraints tying him down.

I reached out to one of the quivering hands. "Are you in pain, Oboro?" My second hand covered the rest of his. "I'm sorry." I murmured before submerging my head in the dark mist surrounding him.

As my forehead reached his chest it seemed to quiet down, as if none of the bad things ever happened. The ups and downs of his chest slowed down, soon to be followed by the beating of his heart.

I opened my eyes and noticed the mist had cleared. Standing up straight, I saw the boy from the pictures shown to me.

Oboro?

Not much later is was as quiet as before we began, with the usual soft talk between the adults, and a passed out patient on the bed.

At least, that's what I imagined the room I wasn't in looked like. I had followed the girl to the hospital bathroom.

"Mister Aizawa told me I can't use it on anyone else." She played with the hem of her shirt, her scarlet gaze focused on the tiled floor. "But it's okay!" A fake but hopefully comforting smile forced my mouth to curve. "I asked permission from Aizawa, he told me I had to take care of the boy you just helped." I continued the lie.

"If he doesn't have anyone taking care of him, he would be really lonely. Do you want that?" Her eyes widened, her mouth agape as if she was offended. "Of course not!!"

Her hands tiny on my much bigger arm, she looked back up. "I'll try my best." She promised me. She seemed to focus really hard, until her mouth opened again.

"Ding dong." She said. "Wha-"

The ringing of the doorbell awoke me from my dream. Who would come to the door at this hour? I leaped out of bed and walked down the stairs. The sun-stained living room wall showed the rectangular shapes where pictures used to hang. Mine to be precise. Any pictures of me as a grownup have been locked away.

"Ding dong." The doorbell complained again. I rushed for the door, avoiding it from waking anyone else up. Without looking through the peephole I opened the front door.

I looked up to find the face of someone I didn't particularly wanted to see first thing in the morning. "Wha-" My mouth agape, as I stared up to the tall, should've been jailbird.

"How did you find my house?" I folded my arms in front of my chest. He rubbed the back of his head as a sneaky grin appeared on his face. "I asked your aunt, I didn't get to say-"

"Of course, she told you!" I exclaimed so he couldn't finish his sentence, putting the emphasis on 'she'. Why does she have to mingle so much?

"Listen, I was trying to-" "apologize to me?" I finished his sentence. He looked completely stupefied for as to how I managed to read his mind. "Do you have a third quirk?" He mumbled, supposedly to himself.

"I heard from my aunt, though my question is what for?" I dropped my guard a bit as I leaned against the door frame. I soon found out I probably shouldn't have, as someone else had awoken too.

"Narumi? Are you up al- Oh! And who might this be?" Oh crud. Mom is awake. I turned around to see her walking up to the door. She stuck out her hand. "Hi, I'm Narumi's mom. Nice to meet you."

I could see Dabi was internally panicking. "Nice you meet you miss, I'm Touya Todoroki." And there he goes again with his infamous name. Though I'm probably the only one who uses that term for it.

"You're quite the early bird, Todoroki! We're about to have breakfast, would you care to join?" My eyes shot open in shock as I pushed myself away from the wall I was leaning on. I was not about invite this criminal into my house.

"Mom! You can't ask him that, I'm sure he has other things to do!! Right, Todoroki?" I nudged him away, but my mom had other plans.

"Narumi, that's no way to talk to a guest." She reached out to me and pulled the poor man inside. "Let's go, I'll be sure to make enough for everyone."

With a deep sigh I closed the door. She either can't take a hint or she just loves to torture me.

As I sat down on the couch, I thought back about my dream. Or I guess you could call it a memory. It's about the same as what actually happened. It didn't include the part where Aizawa found out, luckily. Man, that was scary. I never did see Eri after that time in the bathroom, I hope she's doing okay.

I opened my eyes to see Dabi on the fauteuil next to me. I don't think he noticed I had opened my eyes up, as he was looking at pictures near the faux fireplace. There were only pictures of when my dad was alive and before.

"They're old." He said, his voice confident, as if there wasn't an inch of doubt I'd be able to hear him. "The pictures I mean." I hummed in agreement. "Well, I am 17 now so I can't exactly have pictures around of me as an adult." I explained.

"Is that your old man? Is he around too?" He asked, clueless of how touchy this question was for me. Thus, I did nothing but point at the shrine that must've gone unnoticed by him.

There was a short silence, during which I heard even my mom had stopped in her tracks. "Ah... I'm sorry for your loss. How did it happen?" He broke the silence.

"Do you remember that night up on the roof where I told out about that accident-" I stopped when I heard our guest arrive from the spare room.

"Good morning! I hope you all- Oh." Oboro stopped both his walking and his talking as his eyes met with the turquoise ones.

Now this is about to be a really awkward breakfast.

Published: 01/05/2021
.
.
.
Idk what to think of this chapter, guys. Is it exceptionally bad or remarkably good?
.
I've been very addicted to Genshin Impact lately