02. crashing down

Start from the beginning

Again, I am sorry that this is what we have to do. Please know that I love you, you've really have changed my existence.

-Rosalie

Jasper had clearly written the note from him and Alice, it was neat, clear to read and immaculately spaced.

Dearest Claire,

We regret not saying goodbye to you in person, but we know you would not have wanted to see us. I am forever thankful for your friendship, your kindness and your patience. You are remarkable person, Sunflower. We wish you nothing but the best for your future, and we hope that you can move forward with your life.

Alice says she has a feeling we will see you again one day. I can only hope she is right. I cannot wait to see what an amazing woman you have grown into. You're going to make us all proud.

Sincerely,
Jasper and Alice

Claire had cried reading them, but she was grateful she got some form of closure from her friends. She couldn't hold it against them, they were a tight-knit coven, more like a family, and wouldn't let one human girl get in between them.

﹌﹌﹌

Two months after Edward left, Claire was celebrating her 18th birthday with some of her classmates at a bowling alley. She was actually having fun; it was the best she had felt since he left. Her parents were supportive of her, encouraging her to make new friends and letting her slack slightly in her cores so she could spend time with them and fit in her school work.

She was back to studying at her full capacity, back to top of the class. She'd been offered a scholarship to a college in San Francisco, her parents had been so proud of her. She was still deciding, considering a gap year to help heal.

After saying goodbye to everyone she was bowling with, she drove home, singing alone to some newly released pop song on the radio. It was nothing like the calm classical music Edward always played, but maybe that's why she enjoyed it; it was something he wouldn't like.

She was finding herself doing things he was disapprove of because it made her feel in control again. She now wore her hair up in a ponytail because he always liked it when it was down. She started wearing lipstick and mascara because he always told her she was beautiful without it.

When she pulled up in the driveway, she noticed no lights were on inside. Which was odd, her parents promised they would be waiting up for her so they could share some late-night birthday cake. They both worked at their local primary school, Michael as an English teacher and Jennifer as an art teacher, and sometimes had to stay late to finish grading papers. They didn't like bringing their work home with them, they thought home was for family, not work.

Claire ignored the twinge of worry as she slowly made her way to the front door, her head down and she dug in her handbag for her housekeys.

"Miss," a voice said suddenly, causing her to jump with an embarrassing yelp and clutch at her chest. Two men were standing in front of her on the front porch, one just a few years older than her and one older, his hair greying. The second thing she noticed was their clothes; they were both wearing police uniforms.

"Jesus, you scared the hell out of me," she complained after taking a moment to compose herself, "how can I help you?"

"We're sorry Miss Avery. I'm Detective Malloy and this is Officer Whitman. We should talk inside" the older man told her white he flashed her his ID badge, his face solemn. Whitman looked like he would rather be anywhere else.

"Um, sure," she muttered, the feeling of worry taking hold of her completely this time. She finally managed to fish her keys from her bag and eventually unlocked the door after a few failed attempts. She flicked the hallway light on, making her way towards the living room. The two men were following her, after having shut the door behind themselves. She turned the light on and took a seat on the couch.

Malloy took a seat across from her in her father's recliner while Whitman stood awkwardly behind him looking around the room at all of the photos of her family that lined the walls.

"Miss Avery..." the detective started, "Claire, earlier tonight there was an accident."