Chapter 7

Aine felt herself lifting from sleep but resisted to waking up.  She was oddly comfortable in the chair she had fallen asleep in; it was rather large and for a shorter than average person, it was the perfect napping spot.  She opened her eyes blinked a few times, taking in her surroundings.  She watched as Gregory sat asleep behind his desk and she quietly sighed to herself.  Aine was surprised that he asked her to stay initially, he didn't seem like someone who asked for company often.  He didn't seem like too much of a loner; she could tell he and the other man she'd met, Ruairi, were best friends and had been together since they were little from what Mrs. Aileas said but Aine imagined Gregory didn't have too many other friends besides him.  She sat straighter in her chair to stretch and yawn when she heard him groaning, starting to wake up. 

Waking up from a restful, alcohol induced slumber, Gregory adjusted himself in his chair when he locked eyes with Aine and realized they were in a very compromising situation.  His eyes grew wide when he noticed she was only wearing a night shift and they had been alone in his study all night.  How had he not noticed what she was wearing before?  Keeping his composure, he grunted and kept his eyes down.  "Good morning!" Aine said smiling at him.  Heavens, this was not good.  He thought to himself.  "Aye, good morning, lass." clearing his throat, he continued.  "I uh, I apologize for...I don't want you thinking poorly of me. I didn't realize you weren't fully... dressed."  Confused, Aine blinked trying to understand.  She looked down at herself and thought she was fully covered.  "Uh, what do you mean?" Aine asked.  What do ye mean, what do I mean?  You don't have any clothes on, not proper ones! Yer in a night shift, lass and ye've been in my study with me all night.  Gregory thought to himself.  Frustrated, he sighed deeply and wondered how he could have been so negligent.  He hadn't meant to put her in this position, the ale really had gotten to him.  "I mean, lass, ye aren't in day clothes, yer in a night shift. Last time I checked, we are no married so this...this cannot happen."  Aine, understanding now, did her best not to laugh but failed miserably.  "Oh...right, haha."  she giggled and tried to feign embarrassment but it clearly was not happening as she had hoped.  "I'm not laughing at you, it's just...back home, we wear waaay less than this to bed." Aine tried to explain but Gregory straightened in his chair, eyes wide at what she said.  Aine, context. You're in the 14th century.  This is considered super scandalous.  She thought to herself and decided to not try to explain.  "I didn't mean for that to sound how it sounded...I just come from somewhere very different."  Gregory cleared his throat and responded, "Right. Well...I will just turn and let you leave.  Again, lass, I'm verra sorry if I offended ye."  Aine smiled and shook her head thinking, they really would be shocked to see the nighties in the 21st century.

Aine got up to leave when the door to the study opened and Mrs. Aileas came in with a tray of food.  Mrs. Aileas stopped and let her eyes look over the room, she gasped at what she saw.  Gregory looked up and realized he was in trouble.  "Gregory MacRae, what is the meaning of this?"  Mrs. Aileas was riled up and set the tray on the low table to the side of her and she rushed to cover Aine with her own body.  "You have some explaining to do too, missy!" she looked at Aine who was awkwardly standing there trying to come up with an explanation.  "Mrs. Aileas, it is not how it looks.  There's no good way to explain-"  Gregory struggled to fix what was happening.  "He is not at any fault, Mrs. Aileas.  He looked like he wasn't doing well so I left my room to check on him but I shouldn't have been so nosy.  I didn't realize I wasn't in day clothes, where I come from, this is very conservative.  He was very honorable and even apologized for possibly making uncomfortable, which he didn't so...yea. I don't know how else to explain."  Mrs. Aileas, somewhat relieved, turned her head to Gregory and eyed him. He felt like he was a young lad again getting in trouble with his nanny.  "Well ye run along, Aine, and get dressed.  Ye didn't know so yer not in any trouble.  Gregory, on the other hand, as soon as ye walked in, he should've politely asked ye to go back to yer room.  I'll be up with ye in a moment to give ye some help if ye need it."  Aine nodded and tried not to smile, they definitely would be appalled by what people wore back in her time.