━ 𝙛𝙤𝙪𝙧

ACT ONE | SHADOW AND BONE
chapter four : the basement chronicles
You're saying the device caused some sort of fire?

ACT ONE | SHADOW AND BONEchapter four : the basement chronicles❝ You're saying the device caused some sort of fire? ❞

( don't forget to vote and comment! )

☽༓☾

THE WHOLE LOT OF THEM FOLLOWED DRESSEN INTO HIS BASEMENT.

Aleksandra walked slightly ahead of them, walking closely behind Dressen while Darling hung back with the guards. The basement is what Aleksandra would normally call the typical villain lair, scattered pages here and there, probably a few stray mice and illegal substances as well as the welcoming bloodstains that were near impossible to get out, nothing here was ever too important for her to note unless it was blatantly obvious.

Darling, on the other hand, found the unique oddities in each one. For example, Dressen seemed to spend a lot of time here, she could tell from how he had wine bottles lining a desk in a perfectly straight line alongside a couple of wine glasses. Shelves lined the area that was filled to the brim with all sorts of liquids, wines and books. The general nooks and crannies, yet each one distinctive to Dressen himself.

Her eyes trailed all over the place before landing at the very end of the room, where a person of a masculine build sat with a sack of their head. At first, Darling believed it be a man but Aleksandra would tell her to never second guess so she kept her options open.

"Who's this?" Kaz asked as he looked at the cloaked figures

"So you don't know everything after all." Dressen pulled the sack off the person's head, revealing a tired man, no older than eighteen yet no older than twenty. His head lulled to the side as he weakly looked up, his fast bloody, bruised and battered beyond recognition as he inspected the occupants of the room. "This is Alexei Stepanov."

She felt Darling stiffen beside her as she looked down at the battered boy. Aleksandra held her arm out to comfort the girl but Darling shook her hand, composing herself at the sight in front of her.

Dressen tapped his shoulder, shaking him awake before venturing off elsewhere into the room to pour himself a cup of wine. "Two weeks ago, young Alexei here crossed through the Fold on foot. Alone."

"How'd he manage that?" Inej asked.

"They're keeping it quiet," Dressen shook his head as he steadily held his glass, the sound of his wine pouring into his cup filling the room, "but allegedly he was one of a few witnesses to an event.

"Water." She heard the boy weakly mumble.

Aleksandra's eyes shifted off the side as she watched Inej walked over to the table, standing beside Dressen as she poured Aleksei a glass of water sending him the most dirtiest of looks she could have possibly ever seen. She smirked at the interaction,