G'Night New Orleans!!

'Jackson ran into you on purpose.' 

These words that had shot out of Alastor's mouth struck you in the heart and now they were living in your head rent free as you walked towards the nearby trolly stop.

The work day was over, and the conversation that you had with Alastor had been finished along with it about an hour or so ago. Now you were walking towards the trolley stop outside of the establishment in the chilly New Orleans nightfall, the sounds of music from a nearby jazz club combined with the smell of delicious cooking from the diner across the street made you feel a bit better.

But even then, it couldn't shake off the heavy weight of dread that had suddenly been dropped upon your shoulders at the horrible conclusion the two of you came up with for what had happened to you.

_________________________

' "T-That doesn't make any sense," You stammered out to the radio host that was in front of you. "Why would Jackson run into me out of all people?"

Alastor closed his eyes and hummed, taking a brief moment to ponder over your question. He then motioned for you to come closer to him while he reached out for something behind one of the many dohickeies that was in his office. Once you were close enough he handed you a newspaper, you instantly concluded that it was probably the same newspaper he bought when your incident had occurred. "Are you aware about what happened to Timothy Viederick two months ago?" He asked.

You nodded.

Given the fact that you worked in the reporting department, it made it easy for you to keep up with local events around town. Most of the time when you went about your daily day people were talking about news and incidents that you had already gotten the jump on. 

Working in the news business could be a bitch, but it was worth it for the information you received.

You took the paper from his hands, careful not to touch his gloved ones before proceeding to skim your eyes over the article. "I don't know the details, but I do recall that he was to be placed on trial not too long ago, right?"

The man shot you a brief look of surprise. Most women he knew weren't concerned with the local news, preferring to converse about fancy dresses and proper mannerisms rather than some dewdropper being prosecuted in court.

How interesting...

"Yes indeedy!" Alastor exclaimed. "They put the poor sap on the stand that day and he sang like a canary to all his offenses." The man in front of you shook his head in what seemed to be disapproval at that last sentence. "With all the charges held against him for shoplift lifting and theft surprisingly enough, the court allowed him to pick his punishment!" He said in a 'can you believe it?!' like tone.

"And that was..?" You asked with a raised eyebrow.

The man in front of you smirked. "It was a choice between three years in the bit, or working on a plantation for one year with probation."

You shot him a glance of confusion. "Apologies Sir, but, what exactly does that have to do with me?"

"Patients darling, I'm getting to that." Alastor said, darting his reddish brown eyes to check the time from the clock that hung on the nearby wall.

"Obviously Tim had chosen the year on the plantation, but it wasn't just a random plantation, it was Jackson's plantation."

You made a face. As unladylike as it was, you just couldn't help it right now. It wasn't out of your pool of intelligence to know that Theodore had recently agreed to let a select few of his plantations be used to punish those who committed crimes against Louisiana, but, you still couldn't figure out what that had to do with you.