chapter two ━ seven stages

TWO.
seven stages!

❝ how can I say this without breaking / how can I say this without taking over / how can I put it down into words / when it's almost too much for my soul alone ❞

⎯ fleurie, hurts like hell

"SO, MR. BARNES, Ms. Castell, are you still having nightmares?"

Bucky holds onto Reine's hand firmly, his grip like iron, knowing that if he lets her go, the girl might attack. Reine sits stick-straight, her eyebrows furrowed towards their sanctioned therapist, Dr. Raynor, sitting across from them. The two are side by side on an uncomfortable couch in the small therapists office. To their left is a curtained window, and light streams in to illuminate both their faces.

The events of last night are heavy on both their hearts, and it wasn't until Bucky threatened to knock down the door to see if Reine was alright that the girl reluctantly came out of her room. Her cheeks had tear-stains on them, and dried blood caked the palms of her hands. Bucky tried to console her as they went to the therapy session, his step-daughter infuriatingly silent, a seething storm about to break loose.

"I know you don't want to, Reine." he'd said to her. "I don't either, but if we don't go, the government's gonna come, and they're going to force us." Reine had sighed and bitterly agreed. Ever since the events of Germany years ago, Reine had expressed loudly her mistrust and overall hatred of the government and how they'd treated the Avengers, as well as ordinary people.

Dr. Raynor's voice is soft as she speaks up again. "James, Reine, I asked you a question." Reine's fingers tighten around Bucky's. "Are you still having nightmares?"

The distant father and daughter both look up, feeling as if the walls are closing in around them, and say together. "No." It's Reine's voice which gives it away. Usually a a girl with a fiery temper and a rage-filled voice, her tone is as shattered as a broken mirror. Dr. Raynor sighs, looking between the two sympathetically.