chapter one ━ gone and past

ONE.
gone and past !

❝ We were children / thrust into war / and once it ends / what will we become? ❞

⎯ unknown, via pinterest

THE HARDEST QUESTION to answer about death is what it feels like.

When you die, what does the person feel? Do the deceased simply lose all feeling, becoming nothing, brains shut down and limbs no longer working. When you die, does your soul move to another place, flying up to the heavens, into a different reality, into another body? Or is it simply that when you die, you feel everything at once. Your whole life come to hit you once more before oblivion takes control. All the pain, all the anger, all the love and happiness, it all flashes before your eyes as the white light comes to take you away.

For Reine Castell, death felt like a sickness. It started in the pit of her stomach, working its way up through her body. Like butterflies with poison on the tips of their wings were fluttering above her organs, spiking her stomach and veins. It was nausea that made her realize something was wrong. It was a lightheadedness that told her it was something serious. It was dust which made her find death had come to take her away.

A sickness. A plague.

It had forced her to watch her mother, eyes closed and head tilted back, not watch as her daughter slipped away.

And now the sickness is haunting her again. The dust has come to haunt her dreams, turning them to nightmares.

The fields in Wakanda was the most beautiful thing Reine had ever seen in the world. The grass swayed in the afternoon breeze, golden light making everything it touched into a thing of unparalleled beauty. The sun was high, the blue sky glistening in unmatched glory.