prologue ━ a love lost in time

PROLOGUE. 

a love lost in time!

❝ so, before you go / was there something I could've said / to make your heart beat better?❞

⎯ lewis capaldi, before you go

WHEN BUCKY GOT home, he found them. 

Reine was standing by the back door to the fire escape, bag slung over her shoulder, and a man in a red, white and blue suit talking with Marina. She was wearing a pink sweater and jeans, her hair tied up messily. Reine didn't know what was going on, picking up bits and pieces of the strange man's quick words. Her English had improved significantly, but she could still only understand it well when the person spoke slowly. This man had a funny accent with an even funnier appearance, and Reine would have laughed and joked about it had it not been for the serious and cautious look he gave both her and her mother when he walked in.

"He didn't do it." Marina said to the man. "He couldn't. He's been with us for two years."

"I know he didn't." the man that reminded Reine of the superhero comics she read in her free time replied. "But the world... doesn't... leave."

"We're not going without him." Marina had said. "He's innocent. I know the dangers, I've been living with the Winter Soldier —sleeping with the Winter Soldier—" the man made an awkward face, and Reine followed suit, but Marina knew who she was, and what she was doing. She wasn't ashamed. The kind of love she held for James was one that couldn't break, no matter how hard the world tried to pull them apart.