prologue ━ the sun and the moon

PROLOGUE.

the sun and the moon!

❝ may my heart / be the softest place you fall, / may this love / be the wildest place you run. ❞

⎯ butterflies rising

BUCKY BARNES LOVED Marina Castell more than anything in the world. 

He loved her like the sun loves the moon, without question or hesitation. When the woman walked into the room, his love blossomed in his chest, a pale pink bird taking flight. When she smiled, he could do nothing but stare. Do nothing but look at her, watch her, take in her movements. Every little gesture, every cheeky grin, Bucky knew it all. He knew exactly when Marina woke up in the morning, lying beside him in the pale pink sheets she'd insisted they buy for the room. Marina would yawn, scrunching her nose, and turn to Bucky, her hand on his bare chest. He would eye her from the corner, and when she saw he was watching her, she would laugh.

It sounded like sunshine.

They would lay in the bed for awhile. It was always the same, wherever they went. When Bucky had woken up the first time in her apartment in Madrid, he'd first heard the laugh. Her laugh. His days always started with her laugh. In that first apartment, their routine had been the same as when they moved to Bucharest. It was the same everywhere they went.

But let us start at the beginning of this tragic love story.

It began six months after Bucky left the blonde haired soldier —Steve Rogers— on the beach in Washington, DC, walking away from everything he'd known. His mind, pulling him apart, tearing at the seams, his heart shattering. His bones felt traitorous, his mind like murder. For what felt like ages, Bucky wandered the world, trying to stay hidden, trying to understand his new predicament. His world was off kilter, the tortured safety of HYDRA now gone. He stowed away on planes and boats, knocking pilots unconscious, flying himself to new places when word got out that the Winter Soldier was spotted.