𝒄𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒓 14 ♡︎

"You two totally did it!" Caroline squeals excitedly when she opens her door to find Stefan and Katherine standing on her porch.

They share a confused look as Caroline claps her hands happily.

"I knew it was only a matter of time! So, what happened?" She asks them as she ushers them inside.

Stefan's hand is holding Katherine's tightly. It's the first time they actually go out together during the day. They still avoid places where Katherine could be mistaken for Elena, since everybody knows that Stefan and Elena are no longer dating. After waking up this morning, Stefan and Katherine talked about leaving Mystic Falls. They still don't know where they would go, but they need to leave anyway because Klaus will be back. Then Stefan decided to break the news to Caroline.

"Listen, Caroline, we came here to tell you something."

"What is it? What about yesterday? Where were you?"

"I… Elena wanted to talk to me."

"She did?"

"Yeah. We've cleared things up. I told her we'd never get back together."

"Oh."

The blonde vampire sits on the couch and she invites her friends to do the same. She has decided to refer to Katherine as a friend too, now. It's easier that way. Plus, it seems like the Petrova doppelganger really has changed and Stefan seems genuinely happy with her.

"We came here to tell you that we'll be leaving soon."

"Wait… Why? Mystic Falls is your home…"

"There are too many risks for Katherine here. But… I was thinking that maybe you could come with us, if you want to."

Caroline glances at Katherine who just shrugs.

"Stefan… Thank you for thinking about me but I can't leave. My mother's here. So are my friends. My life is here. Maybe… Maybe in a few decades I'll join you."

Stefan nods understandingly.

"Of course. Okay."

"Okay. So… Let's talk about something else! Klaus isn't coming back for another two weeks at least, last I've heard he was in Roma. We should go out tonight. Next town there's a new club and it looks awesome!"

"I'm in," Katherine answers immediately.

Stefan smiles and agrees. He didn't imagine that it would be so easy for Caroline and Katherine to get along but it seems like their personalities can be pretty similar sometimes.

"Well, we'll pick you up at eleven tonight."

"Perfect."

"I have someone I need to see," Stefan says as he stands up.

"Is it Elena again?" Katherine asks abruptly.

"No," he answers with a small smile.

The jealous tone of her voice is not lost on Stefan. He takes her hand and kisses it gently.