𝒄𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒓 8 ♡︎

"This is the last bag," Katherine says as she hands it over to Stefan, who puts it in the trunk of the car.

"Finally! I thought you'd never stop bringing bags!"

"I'm a lady, Stefan, and I need a new wardrobe every once in a while to please men. And women," she adds with a smirk.

Stefan sits behind the wheel and Katherine climbs in the car after a last look at the hotel.

"Okay, it's a three-hour drive so you'd better have some good music to listen to!"

"But it's your car," Stefan objects.

"Whatever."

"Alright, we should get going. Do you have any idea of where we could stay in Mystic Falls?"

"You should know by now that I always have plans."

"Right."

Neither Stefan or Katherine look in the rearview mirror once they start the car. It's another chapter that begins.

"I can't believe that you're actually thinking of dating Damon. For three years you've been repeating over and over that it would always be Stefan, that you were not Katherine! Look at you, Elena! You are worse than Katherine!"

Elena frowns and she can't hide the look of hurt in her eyes. But Caroline can't find it in herself to feel bad about what she just said. Because she means everything that she said.

"I am worse than Katherine?"

"Well at least she was doing both brothers and she was honest about it."

The blonde vampire knows that there is a slap coming, and so it's no surprise when she grabs Elena's wrist mid-air to prevent her from carrying out the movement.

"Let me go," Elena spits.

"No. If we are going to not talk to each other for months, at least you'll have a good reason so you're gonna listen to me. Damon turned Vicky, and he's the reason she's dead now. Damon tried to kill Jeremy, Bonnie and Matt. He abused me and used me as he pleased. He killed Tanner. He killed his own nephew. He used Andie. He beat the crap out of my father. Stefan has done many bad things, that's true. But why did he do it? Why did he leave with Klaus in the first place? Did he tell you about it, Elena? Because he told me everything. He said that in exchange for the cure for Damon's werewolf bite, he had agreed to spend a decade with Klaus. To save Damon, Elena. How many times Stefan has saved Damon's ungrateful ass? And what happened to "Stefan lets me take my own decisions", huh? Why did you have to get involved with both brothers?"

"Shut up, you don't understand."

"Oh I think I do. You are attracted to bad boys. But Damon's not a bad boy, he's a monster."

"Damon did not choose to become a vampire!"

"Being a vampire doesn't mean you're allowed to kill people or play with them! I think that we've shown that we are able to control our urges even if Stefan still has trouble with it. You are my friend and that's why I will be totally honest with you: you are doing the biggest mistake of your life by choosing Damon. And I'm not saying that you should get back with Stefan instead because clearly, you don't deserve him. I feel sorry for you."

Elena doesn't answer. She's too shocked. She didn't expect such an aggressive speech from Caroline. She knows that things will never be the same between them now. Caroline is known as being straightforward and brutally honest but Elena had never been on the receiving end of her friend's wrath.

"So, now that I've said what I wanted to say, I'm just gonna leave you alone. I'm sure that Damon will come over soon and you can cry on his shoulder."

Caroline doesn't wait for an answer and she slams the door on her way out. What had begun as a nice lunch between friends had ended up in the biggest fight ever between them. It is clear now that she's picked Stefan's side and she doesn't regret her choice. She wishes he would be here. Maybe things would be easier if she could talk to him.

Katherine and Stefan park the car in front of a house that he's never seen before. It's hidden behind trees and it can't be seen from the road.

"Do you know the owner?"

"No. Do I need to know the owner?"

Stefan frowns; he understands all too well what that means. Although he does not approve of her method, he remains silent because there are no other options at the moment. Quickly, Katherine compels the owner—a solitary old lady—to stay at a motel in town and say that there are some work that needs to be done at her house if someone asks her something. Then she takes all her bags out of the car with the help of Stefan and they settle in the house.

"It's quite comfy, don't you think? I particularly enjoy this leather couch," Katherine says as she is half-sprawled across said couch.

"Well then you'll have no problem sleeping here at night while I take the bedroom."

She glares at him and he smirks.

"You do not kick a lady out of a bed, Stefan. It's very impolite."

"Oh but that was merely a suggestion. Of course we can share the bed if your Highness allows it."

Katherine pretends to think about it for a few seconds and finally nods her consent.

"Alright, but as soon as my prince comes to sweep me off my feet you'll need to leave or sleep on the floor."

As soon as she tells her joke, Katherine notices the change in Stefan's behavior. His smile disappears and his body tenses. She gets up and walks up to him until she faces him.

"Oh c'mon Stefan, that was a joke! You know you're the only one for me," she says seductively in an attempt to soften his mood.

It doesn't have the desired effect. Instead, Stefan grabs her wrists and roughly pins her to the couch, his body pressed against hers.

"Oh, is that your cellphone I can feel or are you just really happy right now?" She struggles to say as one of his hand made its way to her throat.

"Stop messing with me, Katherine. Stop trying to say these things when you know it makes me snap."

But that only makes Katherine smile as she wraps her legs around his to bring him even closer.

"That is definitely no cellphone Mister Salvatore."

He looks at her intensely for a few more seconds during which her smile never wavers before Stefan finally lets her go and stands up.

"I'm gonna take a shower," he tells her as he walks away.

"Make sure it's a cold one!" She shouts when he disappears from her view.

if you're a delena fan im sorry😂