chapter 5 ♡︎

It's been months since Stefan has tasted blood this sweet. The rich liquid fills his mouth and he tries really hard not to plunge his fangs deeper into the woman's neck. His eyes never leave Katherine's. She's standing right behind the blonde woman they chose and she's holding her in place. She watches him carefully, and one of her hands is closed around the wrist of the victim to check her pulse.

"Stefan," she starts by saying.

"A little more," he answers simply.

She nods and waits another ten seconds.

"Stefan," she repeats, but this time her tone is more serious. "Stefan!"

He groans but pulls back anyway. Immediately, Katherine bites her wrist and shoves it against the woman's mouth, forcing her to swallow some blood. Then she turns her around and looks her in the eye:

"You left the bar, you went straight home."

"I left the bar, I went straight home," the woman repeats numbly.

"Good. Now go."

When she's alone with Stefan, Katherine fumbles in her pocket and gives him a tissue. Silently, Stefan takes it and wipes his mouth before throwing it into the nearest trash can. Katherine raises an eyebrow and smirks.

"Mister Salvatore, environmentalist."

"What, I just don't want to have to live forever in a polluted world."

"Good. I'd have kicked your ass if you had thrown it on the ground, anyway."

"Oh, really?"

"Really."

They start to walk back to the car in silence. Once Stefan is behind the wheel, he turns to ask the question that's been on his mind since they started this whole thing of controlling his bloodlust.

"Why do you wanna help me?"

"Why do you keep questioning my motives?" She shots back immediately.

They look at each other fiercely, not wanting to be the first one to yield.

"I've asked you first."

"What are you, five?"

"Just answer the question, Katherine. What's in it for you?"

"For me, nothing. I'm doing it for you, Stefan."

He looks deeply into her eyes and Katherine feels like he's searching answers right into her soul.

"Why would you do this for me, then?"

"You know why."

Things are a bit tense after the scene in the car. Katherine remains silent after her almost-confession to Stefan, and the later tries really hard to forget her words. He doesn't want to think of Katherine as a potential love interest. It is way too soon after his break-up with Elena. Not to mention the fact that they already have history together and most of it is bad. He doesn't want to get involved with anyone right now. Maybe staying with Katherine for so long is a bad idea after all.