29 - Preparation and Predictability

You and Techno make your way out of the library and toward your wing of the house. You part ways at your door, separating to shower, and you let the warm water keep you just as relaxed as you were laying with Techno.

Once you've freshened up, you dress once more in casual clothing, wanting to surprise Techno with your dress right before the gala. At this point, though, there are still a few hours until you have to leave, so you figure you'll stay comfortable while you can. You tug on comfortable pants and your dark undershirt and towel off your still-damp hair one last time.

It seems Techno has the same idea since when you meet him out in the hallway he's wearing loose-fitting pants and a soft, simple shirt. He reveals a thin strip of skin below the hem of his shirt as he stretches, and you glance away instinctively.

"Y/n, do you know how to braid?"

"Yeah, Niki taught me a couple of years ago. Why?"

Techno lifts a lock of his long pink hair, letting the strands slip through his fingertips and fall back down against his shoulder. "Do you mind braiding some of my hair back for the gala?"

"Of course I don't mind." You step forward, lacing your fingers with his and tugging him gently towards the den. "Let's go."

He lets you guide him into one of the many dens of the manor. You perch on the couch and he settles down on the floor between your knees. He offers up a hairbrush and a few thin ties to cinch off braids with.

You run the brush through his hair methodically, gently combing out the natural tangles. His pink hair is soft and silky beneath your fingertips as you separate enough hair for a braid. Your fingers move deftly through his long hair as you braid, careful not to tug too harshly. You weave the strands of his hair through with gold chains and beads, twisting a combination of braids of varying thicknesses and strands of free hair into a half-ponytail.

As you braid, you find yourself humming without even meaning to. The song is a duet, a simple love song, and the soft melody fills the cozy room. You don't expect Techno to join in when the words begin, though, singing the deeper part of the duet quietly.

"I'll swim and sail on savage seas, with ne'er a fear of drowning," he sings, soft and low. "And gladly ride the waves of life if you would marry me. No scorching sun nor freezing cold will stop me on my journey if you will promise me your heart."

Your humming pauses for a second as you're surprised into silence, but you recover quickly. You let your voice join his, layering a higher part on top of his baritone.

"And love me for eternity."

It's not perfect, not by any means, but it feels that way to you. It's sweet and genuine and natural, and the smooth deep tones of his voice mix with yours as you tie off a final braid and pin it against his head. You run your hands through his hair one more time before you push yourself off the couch and stand in front of him.

"My dearest one, my darling dear, your mighty words astound me." You tuck a stray strand of hair behind his soft piglin ear. "But I've no need of mighty deeds when I feel your arms around me."

Techno pushes himself up onto one knee. "But I would bring you rings of gold, I'd even sing you poetry." He takes your hand in his like he's a knight making an oath and presses his lips to the back of your hand. "And I would keep you from all harm if you would stay beside me."

You blush at the combination of the kiss and the lyrics, breath almost catching in your throat, but you continue. You perch on his knee, crossing your legs and draping an arm over his shoulder, but don't let go of his hand. "I have no use for rings of gold, I care not for your poetry." You squeeze his hand gently. "I only want your hand to hold."

He slips his hands from yours, placing both carefully at your waist. "I only want you near me."

He lifts you by the waist and stands in one smooth movement, and your hands fly to his shoulders. the corners of his eyes crinkle as he grins, and he spins you around with his arms circling your waist. "To love, to kiss, to sweetly hold, for the dancing and the dreaming."

Techno sets you down gently, but you don't let go of his shoulders. Instead, you lace your fingers behind his neck. "Through all the sorrows and delights, I'll keep your love beside me."

He leans in close enough that you can feel the warmth of his breath, ever so close to your lips. You can't stop smiling, even as you lean in, fingers curling in his soft, wavy hair. His nose bumps yours and you laugh softly, more of an exhale than a true laugh. He hums happily back at you, leaning in closer-

The door to the den clicks open, and you both turn to see Niki frozen in the doorway. "Ah, I'm so sorry, I just came to find Y/n, I'll come back later."

You flush bright red., and you know Techno's doing the same. "No, Niki, it's- you're fine, I-" you glance at Techno, at a loss for words.

"It's fine," he addresses Niki gently, before turning to you. "Go ahead, I'll see you in a bit." Carefully, he tilts his head down to press a gentle kiss against your cheek.

"Alright," you agree, slipping away toward Niki. You send a secret smile back at him, though, as you slip out of the doorway.

As soon as the door closes, Niki whirls around and grabs your wrist. "I'm so sorry for interrupting! What were you two doing? Tell me everything?"

You laugh and let her drag you to your rooms, where you retrieve your dress and jewelry to go get ready in Niki's room. "Of course."

You two get ready, filling the comfortable silence with occasional chatter and jokes. Niki lets you do her make-up, and you obediently dust pale blue and shimmering silver around her eyes. In return, she arranges your hair carefully and accents your eyes shape with a masterful sweep of black ink and a gentle dusting of deep red shadow.

You grin at your reflection in the mirror as you adjust your dress. Niki does a twirl, light blue flaring out around her, and you applaud. "Beautiful!"

Niki giggles. "You are as well. You look so good!"

You curtsy jokingly. "Of course, of course. Now, are you ready to go?"

"Ready as I'll ever be."