Chapter Nineteen

...

Ages ago,  when Chester and his friends were young,  Green lived on the valley's far side.  His family didn't have a farm of their own, but they worked for their many neighbours.  Over the years,  they toiled at nearly every place in the region.

He went to school in the village with Arpa and Jet. Their friend Chess would often become a topic of discussion. 

Green was fascinated with the idea that he was educated at home,  he asked Arpa questions about it,  all the time.  

Arpa's gaydar by this point was more finely tuned than when she had a thing for Chess.  She saw through Green and must have decided he needed some friends.
It was also through her that Green came to work permanently at Wang Nam.  

Chess was the first gay person Green had ever met.  When he found out that Chess had a boyfriend,  one that he'd had since they were thirteen and fourteen, he could hardly believe it. For the first time in his young life,  Green didn't feel alone.
He thanked Arpa and they've been solid ever since.

Green was trusted and well established,  he was happy working for Chess.  Several especially nice-looking guys either worked in the fields or for Green himself in the gardens. 
He was teased quite often because he lamented being single.  They teased him just as much because he didn't do anything to alter that fact.

Everything changed when one day at the dinner table,  cook mentioned that Chess was hiring a secretary.  This was of course after Chester's parents had passed and left him with a huge responsibility.
If necessary, this person would be someone who could do everything from accounting to helping in the kitchen.  Chess wanted someone smart and with whom he could trust his finances. 
He had the job of running the farm on his own now,  but more daunting was the fact that he was accountable for the livelihoods of so many. 

This new secretary was his first and biggest hire since he took over.  Chess felt the pressure of having to get this right.

...

Green watched as the weeks passed by,  no less than ten people applied.  At night they would hear how that day's candidates either had no experience with finances,  or they didn't like dogs and kids.  Chester mumbled something about going to the temple and if he did,  then maybe God might send him the right person.

Because Chess and Pool were out and proud,  Wang Nam farms gained a reputation as a homo-friendly employer.  All ten of the above-mentioned applicants were men,  and,  by their colourful displays,  their sexuality was easy to ascertain.

...