Chapter 11

Oh, how you missed this. You watched as Ben and Nate, your two boys, laughing up a storm as they tried not to spill their glasses of wine. They were pleasantly tipsy and feeling warm from the few bottles the five of you have split so far. 

Jamie, his girlfriend, was talking your ear off about how much effort Nate put into his artwork and the process he went through. She was so proud of him and you couldn't blame her! After all, he did come in first place!

"Another glass, darling?" Your sweet husband asked you as he held the bottle of wine above your glass. You nodded and he smiled as he poured you the rest. He ordered two more bottles as the waiter passed. 

Ben put an arm around his eldest boy and sighed contently. Jamie excused herself to go to the restroom a moment later and the moment she was gone, Nate perked up and leaned in close to the table. 

"I have something I want to tell you guys," he whispered. You and Ben looked to each other with quirked eyebrows, but leaned in close anyways. Nate looked at you both with excitement gleaming his eyes. 

"I'm going to ask Jamie to marry me."

You felt like a bomb had just dropped. Ben was immediately smiling and hugging his boy in congratulations, while you sat a little stunned. You love Jamie, she's the sweetest girl alive and you couldn't have asked for anyone better for your son. 

But your baby wants to get married. That's something no parent could ever comprehend!

"I'm so proud of you," you finally told him. He could see the conflict in your eyes and brought you in for a hug. "I'm happy, mom," he said in your ear. "She's the one." You hugged him like your life depended on it and said, "I know. I know and I am so happy for you." You kissed his cheek and let him go as you saw Jamie coming back. 

Nate greeted her with a kiss and filled her wine glass. Ben took your hand and gave it a light squeeze. You looked to him and saw him smiling at you with nothing but pure adoration in his eyes. He lifted your hand and kissed your knuckles, then turned to Nate and continued to laugh and drink.