"Well, what were you waiting for?"

"I wanted to open it with you and Gray... I guess I should open it now?" We both nodded and Trent ripped the envelope, unfolding the letter inside. "I... I got it!" He shouted. "I got into Rutgers!"

"I knew you would," I whispered in Trent's ear as he pulled me into his arms and spun me around the room.

"Did you know?" Trent asked his dad.

"My friend in admissions may have called me to let me know. I'm really proud of you son."

"Thanks Dad, I wouldn't have gotten here without your help though."

"You weren't doing as poorly in your classes as you let everyone think Trent."

"What are you saying I got in on merit alone?"

"Well, it was a little help from me, but your GPA really wasn't bad. I'm proud of you." The tears that were welling behind Trent's eyes fell. I'm pretty sure this was the first time his father had ever seen him cry.

"Sorry, I'm sorry," Trent cried, straightening up and wiping his tears.

"It's okay, you can cry."

"You've just... you've never said you were proud of me before."

"Not to your face, no. And I'm sorry for that. My father never showed any kind of emotion toward me and so I didn't know how to express it to you. That's something I'm working on."

"You're doing pretty good so far," he said, wiping more tears away. We were interrupted by a knock on the door. It was Ryan, chart in hand.

"Hey guys! I'm so glad to see you're visiting your father, Trent."

"Hi Ryan," Trent said.

"Are you okay? You look like you were crying."

"I got into college."

"Oh my god that's great! I'm so proud of you!" Ryan exclaimed, pulling him into a hug."

"Thank you," Trent hugged him back and then wiped at his eyes some more. "God when did I get so emotional?" He laughed.

"It's okay, you should be emotional this is huge! And Victor I hate to break up this beautiful moment, but you have group therapy."

"Alright," he sighed as he got up. I instinctively took a step back, praying that Victor wouldn't notice. "Bye Trent," Victor said as went to hug his son. Even Trent took an instinctual step back, but then hesitantly stepped into his father's embrace. I smiled watching the two share their moment. "Bye Grayson," he waved at me before following Ryan out of his room. Trent and I followed suit and we went our separate ways.

"Well that was productive," I said when we got into Trent's truck.

"That went... so well I could cry again," Trent said.

"I'm so glad. Like, really glad. You deserve to have a good relationship with your father."

"That's going to take some time for sure, but it's starting to mend."

"You look really happy," I said.

"I am happy. I'm always happy with you," he said as he took my hand in his.

"You know what I mean! This is like extra happy. Like how happy I was when Adam got sentenced. This is like, everything's falling into place for you kind of happy."

"Yeah," he said thoughtfully as a small smile grew on his face. "I guess it is."

"I'm so proud of you, and so happy for you."

"Thank you, I couldn't have done any of this without you, Grayson."

"Happy to help," I beamed up at him.

"I love you, so much."

"I love you too," I said and brought his hand to my lips, placing a gentle kiss to it before setting our intertwined hands down on the center console. I smiled to myself as Trent drove down the highway, the windows down and wind blowing through my hair. I thought about this past year, the person I was when it started, the shy, scared kid who was beaten up every day. I thought about who Trent was too, the rebel who got into trouble and didn't care for anything or anyone. What were the odds that the universe would bring us together? It was like we were perfect for each other, we made each other better people. I was more outgoing and comfortable in myself because of Trent. I think I made Trent more comfortable in himself too. He was more calm, more caring and kind, it was like he was a whole new person. We both were. 

A/N: The next chapter is going to be the last! I can't believe it's coming to an end. This is the first book that I've ever managed to finish. I first started writing this story when I was in high school, and I gave up on it halfway through. I picked it up during quarantine and decide to rewrite it, writing for the first time in years. I forgot how much I used to love writing and this reignited my passion for it! So thank you so much to anyone who has read even 1 chapter and supported this story along the way!