It was not a nice life. It's shiny, it's squeaky clean, it's expensive but it was never pure. It was never the real thing. Everyone... and I mean everyone was governed with pure influence.

I don't know how I calmed myself down but when I looked at the clock, it's already past seven in the evening. It's almost dinner time and I remembered I didn't eat anything for the whole day except those street food.

A knock interrupted my thoughts and there I saw Mom standing when the door opened. She looked at me with an emotion I don't know of. Her eyes speaks... softness.

"Mom." I acknowledged her presence and she should have known by now that I escaped.

Brace yourself for a bombarding series of nagging.

I was ready for it. I was really ready because I know my actions were never considered  correct when I go out alone but to my surprised, she sat beside my bed and offered me a gentle smile.

"What mom?" I said in a stoic tone. She looks freaky when she smiles.

"Eero can you be honest with mommy?" she started and my forehead immediately creased at her tone.

Did a saint possess her?

"What is it mom?" I inquired and she took a deep breath before holding my hand. "Mom you're freaking me out."

She giggled like a crazy woman— or at least that's how she sounded to me. She gave me a soft smile again before talking.

"Your Dad and I saw you earlier,"

There you go. She must have lost her sanity when she saw me.

Great! I even deactivated the CCTV cameras for nothing.

Brace yourself Eero.

"And..." I said, pursuading her to continue so we can get this over and done with.

"Honestly... your dad and I weren't happy. We were alarmed to see you in the market when we were passing by." I took a deep breath as I braced myself. "But your Dad told me to calm down and watch you...and I did."

The softness in her voice told me that what she's about to say is something... different.

"We were there while you skip from one shop to another. You were like a lost kid in the city enjoying the weird things the outside world has to offer." she gave me a gentle smile as she held my hand. "Eero, I want you to be honest with mommy okay?" I softly nodded. "Did you enjoy your day today?"

I took a deep breath before nodding at her. It may have been... kind of... ruined but all in all, I enjoyed every minute that I'm out of this mansion.

"Yes mom. It was very... liberating. I never knew that such food existed just around town! There's fishball, squidball, and the fried oranges that looks like egg waffles!"

"You mean kwek kwek?"

"Yes!!! That food mom! It tastes amazing! And... and the clothes! The clothes around there smelled like it came straight from the factory and it was cheap and the people didn't care if it was branded or not— if it was not the real thing! I mean, if I were to buy that and wear it, my friends would have judged me but them... they were so happy! They were so happy to get clothes that are cheap! They are happy with those little things mom! The outside of this mansion is much more brighter than I have imagined— what?"

My words were cut off as I got disturbed by my mom's smile. She's looks happy and sad at the same time.

"Eero the last time I saw you that happy was when you got your first cotton candy in front of the church." she smiled bitterly before pulling me in for a hug. "I'm sorry son..."