Chapter 12

Magic shouldn't be taken for granted, it was a gift, it was a part of her, it was something that pulsed through her veins, it brought her life, filled her with a glow and this time it came back stronger than it had ever before.

Theo, despite his brooding antics and his sarcastic personality wasn't half as bad, that is, Hermione thought to herself, when he wasn't cornering her and asking if the term Mudblood did anything for her. She shuddered at the memory. Of course, it didn't.

Hermione had finished with testing her magic, basking in the feeling to have control once more. When she was done she noticed Theo staring at her with an expression she couldn't quite read. He didn't seem to notice her stop. It was as if he was caught up in his own thoughts, day dreaming about something else entirely.

A few silent moments passed by before Hermione decided to break the ice. "What's your role?" she asked him.

That seemed to snap him out of his trance, a mischievous smile emerging from his lips. "My role? Hmmm well Granger by taking a look at all this," he gestured towards his body, pride dripping through every word, "I'm the hotter version of Draco- one could even say I'm the person in charge, just by my looks alone."

"Theo..." she rolled her eyes

"Fine" he huffed out. "It's hard to explain but currently I have to deal with those bastards in Romania, you see everything is a gamble with them. They give us quite a headache, they want the statute of secrecy gone by tomorrow." He laughed but his expression was strained. "Like that's going to happen."

Gamble, that's what she was as well.

Hermione must have given him a puzzled look because he immediately started to explain himself.

"You can say I'm in charge of foreign affairs, if you would like to give it a title." He layed back in his chair. "Thanks to the lovely deceased father of mine, I have connections- very strong ones too, it's just a matter of playing the cards right."

"So why am I to work with you? I have no connections and I will not spy against the Order."

"Because Granger, I love your company. You're all tight and wound up, plus you look like a twig: one wrong gesture and you might just snap."

Hermione frowned. "You would think that war would do that to a person, but clearly it hasn't affected you in the slightest, considering the comfort and luxury you live in while people are suffering outside, because of the Death Eaters blood lust for Muggle-borns and Muggles."

He chuckled, unfazed by her words. "You still believe we care about all that." He crossed one leg over the other. "Hate to break it to you, but we have more pressing issues to deal with."

"You're telling me that there is a bigger threat than this War and people's lives!" Her voice became louder

Breathe, she told herself. The thought came naturally this time, without the voice trying to remind her.

Her head was still underwater but she could see a faint light near the surface. She wasn't suffocating as much, Ron wasn't pushing her deeper underwater anymore, he wasn't even there. But she still missed him. She missed Harry more. She couldn't think of them, refused to at this moment. Her heart ached at their names, but both for different reasons.

"That's exactly what I'm telling you," he grinned wide and cunning.

Hermione didn't smile back.

Theo didn't seem to notice her disdain, or didn't care as he whisked her away, startling Hermione. They walked in silence, his scent lingered around them, enticing her senses. She had smelt it before when he had come close to her in the hallway. She made a mental note to ask him about it later.