[5 - encounter; some curious meetings]

Start from the beginning

"Where is it from?"

"Unfortunately, our suppliers are a secret." said Lydia with a smile, raising a slender finger to her lips. "I apologize, your highness, but I can guarantee that it is from a safe and reliable source. However, I cannot reveal my sellers' information."

After saying this, she leaned forward slightly, eyes glittering as she observed his every move.

More often than not, when she refused to explain, most nobles would lose their temper and throw a fit, believing in the ridiculous notion that they deserved to know everything. If she considered the rumours, the fifth prince should be even more ridiculous than any customer before..

Although Lydia didn't expect it, not after observing him with her own two eyes.

As expected, Soren nodded. "Oh. I'll buy it then, send me a dozen bags every month, whatever price it is."

"Prince, pardon my rudeness, but are you sure it's wise to believe in my words as it is?"

Soren frowned. "Are you saying you'd dare lie to me?"

Lydia said quickly, "Of course not."

"Then why would I bother about 'what ifs'?" asked Soren, pulling the bag of candy into his arms as he waved at Damien to bring him the paper. "I'll directly give you the money. How much?"

She looked at him with her pretty, soulful eyes and said, "This time, it's on me, your highness."

For a second, Soren felt like he would be swallowed by those beautiful eyes. On his side, Damien tilted his head curiously at the woman's bright eyes, glancing down at this master who soon regained his calm.

"I refuse."

Lydia froze for a second before her smile seemed to burn even brighter.

"I insist!" said Lydia, spreading her hands. "It's a complimentary gift for my most valued customers, praying to continue working together in the future as well."

"I'm not so poor to promise cooperation with a gift." said Soren, sinking into the couch with a nonchalant expression.

Gifts held other intentions and meanings, one that the receiver did not always know of.

Who was Lydia?

The face of the most brilliant merchant, 'Lydia Jones'. She was the one who knew more about the tricks and games in business than most people on the continent, Soren included.

To take her lightly would be to greatly overestimate oneself.

At his words, Lydia's smile grew a little sharper. "Are you cautious, your highness?"

"I trust in your abilities." remarked Soren cooly as her eyes flickered.

Her abilities.

Not her.

That implied that Soren indeed thought she may have ulterior motives, and he didn't doubt her skill to create loopholes and tricks. At this moment, Lydia realized.

'The fifth prince has changed.'

Thinking this, her demure changed from an originally relaxed and flattering aura to a prickly, alluring one. Soren didn't show any reaction, but Damien continued to look curious on the other side.

Lydia said, "The rumours of you seem to be very inaccurate, your highness."

Soren stared at the wall blankly. "No, they're quite accurate."

"Really?"

"Really."

"Well—"

"Is that all?" interrupted Soren, glancing at the delicate watch wrapped around his wrist, clear eyes bored. "I haven't all day, Lydia Jones."