[5 - encounter; some curious meetings]

"Sorry to keep you waiting." said Soren calmly as he sat across from the woman, moving into a comfortable position.

She studied him for a moment and smiled cheerfully. "Your highness, it's my pleasure to serve you today. I would've never imagined being given the opportunity to be in your presence like this."

Lydia Jones.

The tall woman sitting across from him today with her cropped chestnut hair and welcoming red lips was the 'Lydia' part of the name.

A tricky person with a skillful tongue was the description given to her in the novel.

The interesting thing was, even though Raphael discovered the secret of 'Jones', the second person never made an appearance.

Perhaps they would've latter, had Soren found the missing pages.

"I've searched high and low to prepare the most exquisite variety deserving of your title, your highness." said Lydia as she gestured to the open bags on the table, each filled with a different sweet.

"You prepared it quickly." remarked Soren casually.

Lydia said, "Of course! I prepared my best possible selection for you, your highness, the fifth prince. It was my greatest honour to do so, and imagining the joy across your brilliant expression would undoubtedly give me luck for many eons!"

The ability to sprout endless comments and sugar-coated words was an outstanding talent, well-suited for a merchant. However, for Soren, who cared little about flattering remarks and sweet kindness, it mattered little.

He simply stared back indifferently, tiredness in his eyes. Such a scene was truly boring.

Despite his lackluster appearance, Lydia continued to beam pleasantly and spread out her hands. "Be my guest, your highness, to try any of these that are to your liking."

Soren's frosty gaze swept over the dozen bags carelessly before they flickered between three.

Unlike the attractive sparkling colours of the other candies, the first one was a dreamy blue, with a white center which spiraled in a short stick, the second one resembled a lollipop, a mixture of inky black and midnight blue while the last one was a simple stick, with a plain yet appetizing flower at the top.

Lydia's eyes gleamed as she watched him narrow down his options, stretching an idle finger towards each bag, slowly dragging them before him.

Lydia seemed to expect something.

Perhaps it was to judge whether she could make a sale, or maybe it was something else.

Soren didn't really care.

He reached into the second bag, popping a piece of the candy into his mouth and biting down, sweetness filling his mouth. It was a lollipop — or similar to one — but licking it would take too much time.

It was mellow, easily melting on the tongue into syrupy sweetness.

The prince paused, then reached into the first bag. He took a bite out of the stick, then another, and another, until the swirl of colour disappeared into his mouth, trailing down his throat as he swallowed.

A refreshing feeling washed over his soul, easing the throbbing pain that often plagued him, like soaking in cold water after a hot summer's day. It was sweet, with a bitter tinge that made one's taste buds flare.

Soren squinted at the bag and asked, "This candy... where is it from?"

Lydia glanced at it energetically and asked, "Do you like it?"